New Shuffle

lbj

Registered
I dunno, on the refurb page I can get a Nano fatty at the same price point...but it is tiny!

Attachments

• overview_hero_20090311.jpg
    overview_hero_20090311.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 9
And proprietary headphones, too! Don't lose 'em, at least until a dongle or 3rd-parties begin shipping shuffle-compatible headphones! ;)

.. that (replacement headphones) will cost less than the whole thing ;)

I think I might survive with my existing iPods (nano of the square shape generation, black nano of earlier than that but not really mine, 1 shuffle of both earlier generations, and first ever 20 GB iPod generation..) but my neighbor (with who knows how many iPods - more than I have for sure) started to think "voiceover? Who needs that.. overpriced... but I'm still probably going to get one."

Now they REALLY don't want users to use their own headphones, it seems. If Apple's own wouldn't generally break after ten seconds of useage (seriously: we have a LOT of customers bringing back broken Apple earphones!) and would sound a little better, I'd say good for them. But the new shuffle isn't _that_ much of an advance over the "old" one, so I'd say go with the last generation instead of the newest one...

Why do so many people dislike the white apple headphones? I have a pair of Shure E3C's, and i still prefer to use the apple headphones on my iPod Touch and Nano.

Also - WHY do people have such a problem with breaking the apple headphones ???

I still have the apple headphones from my original 1G 20 gig iPod, and they are still in perfect working order - there must be a lot of careless people out there who never learned to take proper care of their audio devices.

I was liking the new shuffle, until it was mentioned here that the headphones were proprietary. I mean, is this really necessary? I can definitely see Apple eventually doing this throughout their whole iPod line, which in my opinion is just a bad idea.

Well, for other iPods it doesn't matter that much, since you can control them without a remote. But for the shuffle, it's bad...

About the original ones going bad: I had three, I guess, that I used for a long time - and they always worked. The original ones (that came with the iPod 2G 10 GB for me), the newer ones (came with my iPod 4G 40 GB), and the same ones that came with my iPod 5.5G 80 GB. Those really just worked. Fine.

Then I got an iPod touch 1G 16 GB and those just broke after a month. I don't abuse my earphones. Truly don't. But the left plug just stopped giving sound. And then the iPhone headphones. The 1G's earphones broke after two months. Suddenly I had to wiggle the connector in order to make them work, whenever they disconnected, my iPhone would sound stuff out loud, of course. The same thing happened with my new iPhone 3G's earphones. After three DAYS.

Working at an Apple Authorised Reseller, I see about one customer with broken Apple earphones for every five iPods/iPhones we sell. That's 20%. Not counting those who never bring the broken ones back and just buy new ones (by Apple or 3rd party). I find Apple's claims of using "superior" earphones quite dangerously close to a lie.

For some reason, Apple headphones (and similar shaped headphones) won't stay in my ears. I think the Welsh gene pool may have something to do with it.

So I am using Sony Mini Headphones (see image). They work fine, except they don't play quite as loud as Apple's own headphones that came with the Shuffle. Perhaps this is a good thing as it will protect my hearing.

Now I can jog (don't laugh) without the the ear plugs falling out all the time.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 2
Back