New to Mac and Finder Paths

jimbridger

Registered
As a new Mac owner I'm frustrated by what seems to be the inability to understand how the Mac visibly shows the path of a folder system when in the finder. The three options of viewing Finder including List, columns and Icons is maddening. I can't find anyway for the finder view to keep track of a folder as I progress into it and then back out of it again. The closest option is to use the columns view. This does show the path of a folder system from where you started and ended. The down side is that when you get to the end of the path, say a folder of images, you can only see one image at a time. I want to be able to see all of the images as icons but that's only possible in Icon view. Downside to this option is that Icon view does not allow you to see the path. this is difficult to explain in writing but in short, Windows XP allows you to keep track of the path much more efficiently unless there is something I'm missing. For example; in XP, If I click on a folder in My Computer it opens. I then select another folder and so on. Now when I back out of that folder it shows me, by way of highlighting, the folder I had originally selected. It allows you to backtrack and know where you are and where you have been. This is very helpful when working with lots of images and you need to see them as icons. Any thoughts out there?. Am I missing something in the Mac OS?I'm hoping this minor but important issue is fixed in the new upcoming OS upgrade.

Here's a quick answer, and I hope it helps you, at least partially. You can always see the 'path back out' by command (Apple)-clicking on the title bar of any finder window. It will show a drop down, and you can select any item in that list to go back out through the same path.

Thanks for the help. I tried what you suggested and nothing happens. I hold the apple key down with the cursor over the title bar and click the mouse pad. Nothing as you suggest shows up.

You need to click the title text itself, not just anywhere on the title bar. This should work in any Finder window, regardless of view. It also works in a lot of other programs to show you, say, the location of the file you have open.

Another option would be to use column view as you do now, but then when you get to your final destination, open that folder in a new window, and view that new window in icon view. How to do that may depend on your individual Finder settings, but I think by default, you can hold down command while double-clicking on a folder in column view to open it in a new window.

Hoo...........ray!! that's a great trick and just what I was looking for. Thank you for your help. I'm really loving my Mac. There have just been a couple of little things (such as this issue) that have me not 100% on board with Apple. As I learn however, these issues are falling by the way side. I appreciate you giving me a hand.

Kerrect! Thanks, Mikuro - as usual, I was slightly off the mark, and missed that small, but important detail!
Yes, Apple-click on the window title text will give you a variety of information, depending on the app in use, not just finder windows.

jimbridger - glad we could help... Plenty more where that came from!

Thanks to both of you. I've been searching for this answer way too long. Just recetnly found time to come to this forum to get it figured out.

Couple of other suggestions, use columns view but when you reach your destination, select icon view (versus opening a new window). To retreat, click the column view again.

Similarly, use the "back" arrow beside the column/line/icon buttons. This will also allow you to retreat regardless of the view.

Generally lots of ways to accomplish a desired task on a Mac.

There is a Path toolbar button which can be added to the Finder's toolbar. I find it very handy. You can put it on the toolbar by pulling down the Finder view menu > customize toolbar and dragging it out of that window.

I agree with jimbridger first remark, even if we have many different ways to surf our data, the hierarchy is underused. I'm not a fan of the XP Explorer (slow and badly adapted to remote disks), but the Finder is not much better. I muss the good old way I used to manager my files on the VTI tools 20 years ago ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLSI_Technology ): with windows that were shared into several panes, each one with complete hierarchical path. But apparently this does not exist anymore anywhere.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one disappointed with how the finder is set up by default. However, the trick of adding new options to the tool bar is fabulous. Exactly what I was looking for and thanks everyone for all the great feedback.

the trick of adding new options to the tool bar is fabulous. Exactly what I was looking for and thanks everyone for all the great feedback.
Funny, I've never considered the "Customize" ablility of OS X's Toolbar to be a "trick".
More like a standard feature.

jb.

Am I the only one to think the original poster should have been told to click on the desktop, go the the Finder menu item->Preferences and put a check mark in " Open new windows in column view"? I think this would help him in his quest.

rereading the first post -
The three options of viewing Finder including List, columns and Icons is maddening. I can't find anyway for the finder view to keep track of a folder as I progress into it and then back out of it again. The closest option is to use the columns view. This does show the path of a folder system from where you started and ended. The down side is that when you get to the end of the path, say a folder of images, you can only see one image at a time. I want to be able to see all of the images as icons but that's only possible in Icon view.
jimbridger stated at the start of this thread that Column view didn't seem to provide a good answer. I think the answers to help show the file path more simply is better help.

Back