New to Wireless

MacNEO

Dirty Mac Monkey
I am considering setting up a wireless cable internet connection for my iBook at home. I really don't know anything about it other than I know I need to buy an airport card and I need an Airport station. The Airport is really expensive though and I am wondering if I can use a cheap pc-type version? Will that work? Can anyone recommend a brand or model? When using a wireless connection does this decrease your overall connection speed? How do you protect your connection from others who may want to tap into your signal?

You will still need to buy an airport card!

If you have a G3 iBook, get the origional Air Port card
If you have a G4 iBook, get the Air Port Extreme

Not so you dont need an airport card! you can get one of these dodads from D-Link at OfficeMax.com it works ok, i had one once, but i had to do some big file sharing so scrapped it for good `ol ethernet. It only worked under 10.2 for me though D-Link may have updated its drivers.

WeeZer51402 said:
Not so you dont need an airport card! you can get one of these dodads from D-Link at OfficeMax.com it works ok, i had one once, but i had to do some big file sharing so scrapped it for good `ol ethernet. It only worked under 10.2 for me though D-Link may have updated its drivers.
That was a session and the session had expired. I hope you're not suggesting a wireless to usb/wireless to ethernet dodads. Those are horrible for mobility. So much better to just get the card.

True, im not sure if I'd want one of those sticking out of the side of my iBook but i was just making everybody aware of the less expensive options.

Thanx for the input peoples. I have a G3 iBook and I will get an airport card. They are cheaper than they were a while ago... Anyway how is the speed with a wireless system? Is there a need or way to keep people from going piggie-back on your wireless connection?

Only the airport card fits into the ibooks. Get the extreme flavour. Its not much more.

The Airport card and the Airport Extreme card are not interchangeable. Your computer will require either the regular Airport card or the Airport Extreme card. Make sure you know which card your iBook requires before you buy one!

Back