Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

The latest version of Tiger client is unstable and unusable. Tiger Server is much more stable but has plenty of bugs.

Hi

Anyone knows which build there was shown at the keynote? Can see some changes in the graphic in the menubar etc. Well i guess it will be posted at ADC for us to download later on.

Did an upgrade here… lazy and impatient ;) Will probably do a clean install this weekend.

First (very quick) observations
Was expecting the new Dashboard… same ol' same ol'.
New Dictionary.app
Mail.app has been updated and sports the new appearance

That's it so far (only been running about 15 minutes)

Well after aprox. 1 hour of download time -time for the burn of the DVD. The installment went painless and about 20 min -more or less on my PowerBook G4 -1.25 Ghz. Did an 'archive and install'.

It seems very stable and they really did a huge job with this build. However the only Applications i can't get to work on the system is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Flash MX 2004 Professional. So i tried the Dreamweaver MX and that runs just fine.

Also found some issues with Transmit 2.6.2 and drag'n'drop not working correct.

More to come...

what about the new spotlight logo?
it looked kind of boring in steves keynote and on apples tiger-site. i liked the other better because it was more interesting.

Decado said:
what about the new spotlight logo?
it looked kind of boring in steves keynote and on apples tiger-site. i liked the other better because it was more interesting.

Well i like this new one much better than the 'old' one. There are much more harmony in the interface now. The old menu attracted too much attention -at least it's my opinion.

but it's always nice with big visual change when when you buy a new OS version :)
like the new finder in panther, or the clear dock in jaguar.

The 'more interesting' look of the menubar was, to say the least, distracting when working day-to-day with Tiger. The new look is more toned down and 'better' in this regard. Those new look things, btw., wear off quickly once you're actually using new systems. So they have to be compatible with everyday use, and the Bright blue background of earlier Apple and Spotlight logos in past builds were MUCH too distracting...

But I think Apple will try out several new looks until Final (they've already changed things there a couple times by now in Tiger betas), and I hope it'll be _slightly_ changed from how it is now - the blues and grays don't yet seem to match the general look completely yet.

Btw.: It looks like the only thing that was kept through these changes is that the menu bar will _really_ adopt the two-tone look from other UI elements already present in Panther (for example the buttons on Safari). And I like that very much. Non-intrusive, but much better than the lines in Aqua (Jaguar and earlier) and toned-down Aqua (Panther).

Is there a way to change the default file format for talking screenshots in Tiger? Really anoying the default format is PNG. I would like to change it to PDF like in Panther

I guess you'd have to search the forums about this on how to do it in Panther and earlier, too. Off of my mind, I dunno... But you can always use Cmd-Shift-3 and -4 to just copy to the clipboard and then paste it into a new file in Preview where you can export as anything it handles, I think (or use some graphics application)...

I get this every time I open it and then I click retry and it opens find. Also would love to see a priority setting, like entourage, so messages can be sent as urgent. If it is there I may have missed it. It is 3 am here and just playing with all the new things. My next test is to see if it will see the new blue tooth Motorola phone v710. What good is a blue tooth phone and a blue tooth computer if they can not see each other.

If the phone/computer pairing doesn't work, I would wait until after the Final has been released before you write it off as being no good…

As for the screenshot format, I'm not aware of any way to change that. You might want to search macosxhints.com

How is spotlight working? I remember people complaining about the long times it took to index a drive. Is that still a problem? Having played a little with Beagle on GNOME, I'm keen to have spotlight.

What about general performance? Better than Panther?

I had only one problem with spotlight it for sure was not indexing it took a very short time with my machine. But the thing i find weird is that I typed journal and after seeing the presentation of Steve at the Developer Convention it should pull up everything. However it only pulled up the word journal, wereas I had an application called Macjournal and it did not locate this until i typed it exactly. But you can see it is going to be great because of the way it found the pictures I had hidden or screen shots of problems it pulled them right away. You can tell it is a work in progress and it already is better than the Google attempt at this on the PC side.

Eddie

Guess it really didn't finish the index completely for some reason. Indexing took a bit over 4 hours on my machine and spotlighting afterwards worked flawlessly for me.

Back