Next G5 Powermac?

pishnaris

Registered
I'm not seeing any active rumor-mongering regarding possible G5 Powermac upgrades, and as I'm finally ready to jump on one, I'd kind of like to know how long I may have to wait for the next generation.

I expect that the new machine will have faster CPU's, and probably a dual-layer Superdrive...most likely 10.4 as well. All those elements make it seem worth the wait, even though I've surely stretched my old Dual G4 as far as it can go (2Gb ram, 1.3 Tb harddrive), and although it is still pretty sweet, it's slowing down.

Any hopeful rumors?

Cheers,

Pish

Place your order now :D

When I ordered my dual 2.5GHz shortly after announcement it took like 5 months before I got it :rolleyes:

pishnaris said:
...most likely 10.4 as well.

It'll only include 10.4 if you purchase the computer after 10.4 is officially released. If you purchase within a few days after 10.4 is released, you may not get 10.4 with the machine, but you'll probably get a coupon for a free upgrade to 10.4 (mind you, it's an upgrade -- meaning if you ever need to install fresh, you have to install the 10.3 that came with the computer and then upgrade to 10.4... a true hassle).

pishnaris; i would say wait, at least that is what i am doing myself. i seing that i actually might have to hold out until summer, but i personally wont mind that too much(although i've been waiting some months for the new upgrades).
reason for holding out at the moment is escentially(?) just that the the new PM's are already waaaay overdue. according to teh buyersguide at MacFixIt.com the average cyclus between PM upgrades is 176 days. as of today we are into day 260 after last upgrade(not counting the introduction of the single 1.8, i guess).

this means they are gonna have to come soon, and if they don't come until summer i'm sure apple has something really big to show us. if they introduce something before then, then it is gonna have to be quite soon, since i guess new bumps will be due for sumemrs expo anyway..

but if you're in desperate need i would place an order now, you will get a hell of machine any way, but you just might gonna have to live with the fact that you could have gotten a bigger, better, faster, meaner machine for less money(price-drops have been a nice tendency at apple recently) by holding out some more weeks..

alex (holding out)

and yeah - how the h*** do you spell escentially? boggled my mind several minutes before i came up with this. right? wrong?

Well I just ordered my self a Dual 1.8G5.

I have been waiting to buy one for over a year, and figured I might as well now. Even if they release a new model next month its not the end of the world, I still have a kick ass machine.

Everything you buy will be outdated in a few months, so no use waiting too long.

Back