Next MacWorld Agenda

Thank you! the other one that winds me up is MacIntel or Mactel.

it's a mac. possibly an intel mac.

The worst is people who think Mac is an acronym and say things like "I love my new MAC".

really? do you? I hope you're talking about your MAC address because otherwise you're just annoying me.

The other one is people who hyphenate Apple product names (ie. i-pod, i-mac)

So Apple unlocks the iPhone because everyone uses
a service besides AT&T. This sounds like a wish list announcement.
Here is what might happen:
1) Steve Jobs will discuss Apple apps that are already being developed
for the iPhone/iPod Touch. To be included in the next software update for those devices.
2) He'll talk about the iPhone sales in France and the UK as being
the first step toward getting an iPhone in everyone's hands. He will tell us
the countries that will be lined up for agreements, what carrier will be used, and invite a CEO to talk about the impact the iPhone has had on his company, etc. It will be boring so bring a pillow.
3) The Mac team at Microsoft will demo of Office 2008. Tout its partnership with Apple and so on.
4)The Apple TV is essentially a iPod hooked to a TV. Maybe they'll have an agreement with the networks to stream content from the cable/satellite box to apple tv. Maybe it will turn into webtv.

Will we get any hints about Leopard successor ?

Probably not as Steve will focus on selling Leopard, but who knows... he may "leak" a new feature, just to further differentiate from the crowd.

Leopard has only just been released. There definitely won't be any talk of the next version of OS X before WWDC next Summer, if even then.

WWDC will be software hints for future updates. MacWorld will be updates of consumer software (iTunes, iLife& iWork applications) and a rare occasion of a hardware revisions (on one product). However Apple has repeatedly gotten away from MacWorld and hardware revisions.

So I expect iTunes Music Store announcement, new revision of professional applications and hopefully an AppleTV upgrade. The only way a Mac Pro who be announced would be if there was a whole redesign. This goes for ANY new hardware redesign.

WWDC will be software hints for future updates. MacWorld will be updates of consumer software (iTunes, iLife& iWork applications) and a rare occasion of a hardware revisions (on one product). However Apple has repeatedly gotten away from MacWorld and hardware revisions.

So I expect iTunes Music Store announcement, new revision of professional applications and hopefully an AppleTV upgrade. The only way a Mac Pro who be announced would be if there was a whole redesign. This goes for ANY new hardware redesign.

Agree with you 100%!

I want to add that the Apple Display is very long in the tooth. I feel it is time for a revision of the cinema displays.

Then again, the Cinema Display line still fits the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro machines perfectly, is very well designed and actually does _not_ need any kind of refreshing, does it? They could drop the price of the 20" model by half (won't happen) or make the 23" at the price of the 20" (probably won't happen either).

I'm looking forward to anything iPhone/iPod touch related plus that subnotebook or whatever it's going to be. If it has a 13" display as rumored, it's not exactly "sub" in my view, whatever light or thin it is. I'll still have to get one, though. ;)

Then again, the Cinema Display line still fits the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro machines perfectly, is very well designed and actually does _not_ need any kind of refreshing, does it?

I would like to see better screen resolutions and at least one with the LED backlight technology included.

Then again, the Cinema Display line still fits the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro machines perfectly, is very well designed and actually does _not_ need any kind of refreshing, does it?

You're right, it still fits with the MacBook Pro and Mac Pro line, but they're waaaay to expensive!!!
They should sell them for approx. $300 for 20", $400 for 22" and 600 for the 30"... compared to $199 for a proper HP monitor, $300 is still a lot, but 600 for the cheapest one is, well, over the top!

it's not going to happen, but i could really use the Mac Pro line to be updated, the prices on there havent changed since august 2006.

if i'm going to drop £1500 on a machine, i want more than 1gb of ram, and a geforce 7300 is just rubbish. integrated graphics are better than [ ]300 geforces... the next step up is £100 more for a radeon x1900! the x3900'll be out soon!

basically, they're completely out of date, and/or far too expensive for what they are now

Yeah, what's with the 1 GB standard: Even the MacBook Pro comes with 2 GB default config.

I don't buy the ultra-portable touch screen MacBook rumors. I doesn't make sense -- IMO the iPhone over the next few years will morph into an ultra portable mac.

I think OS X 10.6 will run on the iPhone (ie. not a stripped down version like the iPhone's OS X is now)

I can see some sort of display re-design. Integrated iSight option? also bringing in some of the black and glass style from the iMac. Would also like to see the environmentally friendly option/standard they released for the macbook pro awhile. Why are the displays so expensive anyway? Easily the nicest displays around, but theres no way I could spend that much money just because it looks good.

I don't think anyone's mentioned these yet but it appears they're due for an upgrade... this article's a couple of months old now but seems to indicate they'll get a speed bump with the new Penryn chips. Seems to make sense given that they haven't been updated since June. Maybe they won't be available immediately, but I think they'd be close enough to an update to make it worth announcing.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/19/next_gen_macbook_pro_penryn_chips_revealed.html

Will announcements at the Jan MacWorld affect (lower) the prices of the current MacBooks? I was thinking of buying a MacBook for Christmas but wondering if I should hold out till Jan...

First of all: We simply don't _know_ whether the MacBooks will see an addition or replacement. Maybe it'll just affect the MacBook Pro line. Then again, MWSF is mid-January, and things they announce could take another month 'til release and yet another one 'til wide-availability kicks in. (No 24" iMacs available this Christmas season in Switzerland, basically. Not good for Apple's sales!)

Back