No DVD drive / Install Tiger over network?

larry98765

Registered
Hi All,

I want to install (legitimately) Tiger on my desktop Mac G4 that doesn't have a DVD drive (without having to pay the $10 nor wait for CDs).

I have a PowerBook with a superdrive (that I'm leaving 10.3 on) that I could network to the G4. Can I install Tiger to the desktop G4 in this manner?

Thanks for any advice.

Not over the network, no, but you could get a FireWire cable, put the iMac into Target Disk Mode, then install Tiger from the PowerBook that way.

Should keep in mind that at installation time, the installer thinks it's installing onto a PB G4, then. I really don't know whether this means that the system you're installing is missing some things and installing some things that aren't necessary, but I'd keep it in mind should problems arise.

Fryke -- That's an interesting concern.

What if I put a disk image onto an external firewire drive or iPod, then attach that to the desktop machine and install like that?

larry98765 said:
What if I put a disk image onto an external firewire drive or iPod, then attach that to the desktop machine and install like that?
Why not just intall Tiger on the external firewire and then clone it to the desktop. Alternatively, you could clone your pBook internal to the firewire external, install Tiger with an archive and install/preserve user and network settings, and then clone to the desktop. The Tiger disk still will think its installing on a pBook--I think. I'd try it anyway. If things don't work well, then you can always get CDs.

I didn't read the link, but you would just trash the disk image from your iPod like from any other hard disk--since it will be in hard-disk mode if you install from it.

just tested it with my dad's 10.3 DVD and it doesnt create it as a disc image on the iPod, it just installs the files.....
So when you open the iPod, you see all your normal folders, including contacts notes etc, and the files you would also see when you open up the panther dvd, but not the hidden ones.... so does this involve usin terminal to trash the hidden files now?... and if so which hidden files to delete, cause the iPod has it's own on there aswell doesnt it?

Back