Null with cat-5

Snark

Registered
I wanna patch directly into my friends pc over our ethernet ports.

Ive tried and never been able to get this to work.

Help me. ::sleepy:: <btw is he screaming? cuz i am :D

If 'patch directly' means: connect the 2 computers together with no hub in-between using a single ethernet patch cable, then that should work. Your iBook G4 will be auto-sensing for the ethernet connection. If you can't get the PC to sense the cable (you should see the connect light near the 'net connection) then try using a cross-over patch cable. You can find these at most places that sell patch cables.

If the iBook doesn't support auto-sensing of the cat-5 cable (direct vs. crossover) then you'll either need a crossover cat-5 cable, or a hub/switch/router.

Once the two computers are connected with the cable, what are the exact steps you're taking to try and connect?

What version of Windoze is the PC running? If it's XP, make sure the std. Windows Firewall is disabled. That program causes all kinds of issues and is best left disabled. Have your friend grab a free copy of ZoneAlarm instead.

What are you trying to accomplish by connecting the two computers? And what exactly do you mean by patch-in?

2 Things:
If you've turned on windows networking and your PC person still can't log in, try changing the password (in system preferences/accounts) of the user he's trying to log in as. There's actually an Apple bulletin about this somewhere.

Second, you can, if you want, network 2 machines lightning-quick via firewire, including a firewire equipped PC if you're running XP. I did it just recently with my wife's laptop - very cool. You'll have to enable Firewire networking on both machines, and manually assign 2 different IP addresses, but it works great.

BTW: after you turn firewire networking back off, you may have to power-cycle all your firewire peripherals.

Back