Official MacWorld 2008 Thread

I thought that $1799 was expensive for the Air. Then the UK store opened and it is priced at £1199.... $2400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can not see how they can go from 1799 to over 3 grand and all you get is solid state hard drive and a little faster chip 1.8 instead of 1.6 that is a rip off! So Fryke you order you Mac Book Air yet?

Well, I was really excited when I heard about the 64GB flash drive. Then I saw that it costs at extra $999! :eek: It's nice to see Apple using the technology, but it looks like it'll be a few more years before it will approach the mainstream. Then again, maybe it's only so expensive because it has to be so small, in which case we might see a more reasonably-priced option for MacBooks and MacBook Pros.

Time Capsule is a welcome addition, but it just makes it all the more confusing why this feature (backing up over the network) was not enabled from the get-go. Does it actually require Time Capsule, or will it work with any networked disk now?

Well, I waited for today. And nothing for me.

I need to upgrade my desktop machine for home use and also replace and old IBM ThinkPad. Looks like a MacMini and a MacBook. I'll ask the questions in another thread in the right forum.

Well, I waited for today. And nothing for me.

I need to upgrade my desktop machine for home use and also replace and old IBM ThinkPad. Looks like a MacMini and a MacBook. I'll ask the questions in another thread in the right forum.

Why not just replace both with one machine (MacBook Pro)?

I must admit that the new Macbook Air is incredibly cool and impressive. And its nice to see that they're updating existing products and systems (iTunes, AppleTV, iPod Touch) instead of releasing "better" ones that make the old ones less desirable.

My 2 cents:

Love:
- New AppleTV interface available to existing ATV's. That was a nice surprise, and a nice change for apple.
- MacBook Air (not that I would want one, but very cool)
- firmware 1.1.3 looks great, though will now have to wait until it gets jailbroken (also, the triangulation is not going to work in places like australia :( )

Don't love
- iPod Touch apps costing +$20. they should have been there from the beginning.
- Rental prices seem a little high, not that I expected them to be any lower, but still.
- No change in TV show situation (not that it affects us non-USA people anyway)

Questions
- Can you use Time Capsule as a NAS, or does it HAVE to be used as a backup drive? I imagine you can use it like a normal HD if you want?
- No way to get Firewire into a MB Air?
- Will the multi-touch featres of MB Air come in an OS X update for all macs with a touchpad? There is no technical reason why not AFAIK?

- Can you use Time Capsule as a NAS, or does it HAVE to be used as a backup drive? I imagine you can use it like a normal HD if you want?

Judging by the main picture on this page ( http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/backup.html ), the answer is yes, it *is* a NAS. It's marketed as Time Capsule because thats its purpose and intended use, but a NAS is what it is, AFAIK.

Again, like so many Apple products, Time Capsule seems expensive until you add up the different products it replaces. In this case its NAS + 802.11n/a/b/g router + print server with gigabit ethernet LAN connections, so the value for money isn't bad at all.

When I went over the MacBook Air Guided Tour I noticed near the end about the "Remote Disk" function included with the software install disk for MacBook Air. I am wondering how this get's installed on other computers (Mac and/or PC).

When I went over the MacBook Air Guided Tour I noticed near the end about the "Remote Disk" function included with the software install disk for MacBook Air. I am wondering how this get's installed on other computers (Mac and/or PC).

From a CD. It'll ship with CDs/DVDs containing Mac OS X, iLife, etc and the remote disk utility for windows and Mac will be included.

From a CD. It'll ship with CDs/DVDs containing Mac OS X, iLife, etc and the remote disk utility for windows and Mac will be included.

I will wonder how long until this software make it to the underground on the net. It seems to be something some people might be interested in.

Couple of my thoughts:

Still no movies for the UK iTunes store, rental or otherwise. :(

Macbook Air is pretty cool but I can't see myself rushing out to buy one, especially with the baseline model being only £100 cheaper than a MBP. Maybe good for business people who have to carry their laptop around a lot? Although the Macbook and Macbook Pro are hardly excessively heavy or thick. Also the lack of optical drive and same integrated graphics chip used by the Macbooks is a bit of a downer, if necessary for obvious reasons.

Very impressed with Time capsule, nice price also.

Does anyone know if Apple plan to make the multi-touch trackpad standard on all laptops in future?

I just realized that with the MacBook Air Apple is pointing to a wireless future. So does this mean that this year we will see wireless syncing iPods/iPhone with wireless Macs or local networked Mac/PCs (wireless) iTunes & AppleTV?

Would be nice if they made a kind of wireless home hub featuring the optical drive and hard drive for it, that's something I WOULD buy.

Use the 80gig harddrive for when you're away from home, once you get back it automatically reconnects to the hub, maybe even a remote feature so that you can connect to the hub via the internet and have remote access to the rest of your files.

Back