Official: Mojave Thread

AHB

Registered
Recently I read an article on the interesting work being done by a character that goes by the name DOSDUDE1.
The person in the spotlight has provided a way for old systems, which Apple will not let, upgrade to Sierra, High Sierra, or Mojave and stay up to date a little longer with their investments.

I tried it out on my 2011 17" MacBook Pro, unfortunately that system has an AMD graphics chipset that is not compatible with Metal? As a result, the dedicated graphics has to be deactivated, which means no 4k monitor anymore. So I've gone back to High Sierra with that unit.

However with my 2011 Mac Mini I am running Mojave, and of course there are older models that can also run Mojave, sometimes with a few restrictions, of course, which may not be an issue for your particular use of OS X.

For those interested, the web site is http://dosdude1.com. Then click on the "My Software" link in the blue bar.

Dear Fellow Mac Users!

I am writing to You to ask for Your kind help with an issue that I think might concern OS Mojave.

Basically, the "Pictures" folder from "Documents" has disappeared. Neither is it there when I open "Documents", nor can it be found through Finder or a Command+Space search. Although I have not opened the "Pictures" folder directly for a while (only through searches), I suspect that the disappearance of the folder might be linked to a recent system update.

And as a result, all my screenshots of three years have been lost.
I am film critic and a dedicated fan, and I am using screenshots for my work on a daily basis as reference material, so this really hurts.

If You have encountered the same problem, or have any ideas about what might have happened to the folder and in what way I could retrieve it (or the screenshots it contained), I would be very grateful for Your help on this matter.

(This is my first time posting, and I hope I am posting in the right place. If not, please, be so kind as to help me redirect my post. Thank you!)

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
First, you should have a back up of your drive or at least your home folder. Second, look in Home for the Pictures folder.

First, you should have a back up of your drive or at least your home folder. Second, look in Home for the Pictures folder.
Dear Cheryl!

Thank You so much for Your quick help!

I did not know about the Home route, so far I had only used the Documents folder and Finder/Command searches to reach the Pictures folder.
I have found the Pictures folder in Home, and I will remember this trick.

You are right, thank you. Money is tight right now, but generally, yes, I think it is a smart decision to back up your data.
I am glad I have escaped the loss of my screenshots this time around. I am also glad that I have come across Your forum.

Thank You very much!

AHB

Registered
If you right click on your Pictures folder and select Make Alias from the drop down menu, you can then drag the newly created alias icon anywhere you like to be able to access your Pictures. Once you move that alias out of the Home folder, you can rename it to Pictures if you don't care for the "Pictures alias" title.

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
Back up - all you need is an external usb drive (not expensive) and use Time Machine which is included in your OS.