Oh My God! This Sucks Big Time!

BIGDOGquake3

Get It, BIG MAC! ::ha::
My computer wont boot after the 10.5 update! I finaly found the space to install it (by removing some stuff) and this is what I get! This has never happend before and I know it's not just my computer, for two reasions 1st because I take better care of it than I do my self! And because I seaeched on this site and came up with one thing protatining to the computer not booting after 10.5 update! The post doesn't really give a real solution to my problem, I DOND WANT TO DELETE MAC OS X! I use it for school and a hole lot of other thngs. I really need your guys help more than ever!. When I press the button to start up it all goes well and good untill about 5 secs. after I see the grey apple (well its a picture of Dr. Evil) then it just shuts off, not panic it just turns off! Thanks in Advance!

-Things I have tried:
1. Since my computer is split up into 2 partitions I tried holding down D (Defalt) to startup from 9, same crap happens!

2. Holding down apple-s and attempt to run fsck -y, but the computer shuts off with in the same time period!

3. Taking out Air Port and doing step 1 and 2. No luck!

Did you try booting from the Jaguar CD and then choosing the "Archive and Install" option? This moves over your user files, and stores your old system in a "Previous System" directory.

Nope I an going to do that once I get a hold of the Jag CD. Are you sue that will work? Will it get rid of any thing? Sorry for being like this but I worked many, MANY hours/days/months to get the computer the way I like it and now this :mad: could you give me step by step directions on how to reinstall Mac OS X and not screw anthing up. 1st what I will need to do is install 10.1 thaen 10.2 (because the 10.2 is an update CD) am I taking this way out of peroprtition? :confused:

Yea it will work, but you need enough disc space because the OS will be moved into a folder called Old System I believe, or something along those lines. That will be over a gig, maybe around 2 gigs. That way all your apps will be kept, prefs, but remember to drag some things you may need out of the old System folder, like stuff stored in Application Support that your apps will needs, since it doesn't copy that over to the new system.

How about this? What if I plug in my iPod, could I use The Archive and install option and move my user files onto the iPod. I want to make my hole HD one partition, because I don't use 9 any more, and it just takes up space. Is all of this possible :confused:

hey!

backup ur files! somehow!! (if u can)

but then try reinstalling the os, do not format the disk (unless that's the problem, then... checkmate), i think u'll be supprised that your old home directory and files are still there, safely!

you will then need to do a little tweaking to get things back to Before The Crash Period. Like editing the NetInfo DB.

WOW thank God, OSx is not Windows. You would have lost everything.

There is no such thing as far as I know as an "OS 10.2 update only disc".

You do not need anything involving the old 10.1 disc for an archive/install.

Just pop the 10.2 disc in there after you back up your personal files (just in case) and follow the steps.

You mean to tell me I should not put my user directory on my iPod and then reboot my computer (re install Jag)? Or should I do it? Questions Questions! :D

First, relax. It happened to many people with the 10.2.5 update (including me).

Second, back up if you want to, just in case, but you're not going to overwrite your stuff. Really.

Third, boot from your jag cd. Select your boot drive and click options (lower left). Select archive and install and check the box that says to save user prefs. Click ok. Click continue.

You'll get a fresh install of 10.2 with your user prefs, music, etc in the same places they were before.

Download the 10.2.4 combo updater from Apple. Do software update and update the security, java, quicktime, safari, etc. stuff, but DO NOT download the 10.2.5 update.

You'll be back to where you were before the update fiasco. That's what I had to do.

Thanks GraphicUmp, but is there a way to reformat the hole HD so I can have it all as one partition (getting rid of 9) but still keep all of my prefs. and info. etc... :confused:

A simple Yes or NO will do. But if you can could you please tell me how to do it step by step like GraphicUmp did

PS: All of this would have been done earler, but I need to get the Jag CD, My frend has it ::ha::

Thanks for all of your help and hopfly my computer can be a happy :)

Don't forget that the Archive And Install option is not available from the 10.2 update CD, only on the full Jag install! Otherwise, follow GraphicUmp's directions, that's porbably what will be needed. :)

Ahhhhhhh!!!!! I CAN'T BELEVE IT!!!! I have the 2 Jag CD's and I can only boot from the 1st one and the same thing happens. Right when the little spinner comes up it just shuts off! But it shows the default boot image, so I know it's trying to start from the CD. I put in the 9 CD to try and start it from that. No luck! What the hell is going on! :mad:

I didn't find anything! :mad: Any you know what the sad thing is? I can't even renatall OS X because I cant even start up form the CD! So now what :confused:

Originally posted by BIGDOGquake3
I didn't find anything! :mad: Any you know what the sad thing is? I can't even renatall OS X because I cant even start up form the CD! So now what :confused:

1 question 1st of all:
-Did you install a custom boot image other than the gray Apple Logo or I misunderstood your 1st posting?

Anyways,
1. Unplug EVERYTHING even keyboard/mouse (if any)
2. Check if your battery and power cord are all firm into their position
3. If you are able uninstall iBook's additional RAM
4. If you have cds other than Jaguar CD1 eject them while your Mac boots by holding on your eject button or mouse/trackpad
5. Try booting from Jaguar CD1
6. If you have OS 9 CD try to start from there too if Jaguar CD1 fails

Give a shot this too to test if Safe Boot will resolve your issue:
1. Restart the computer (using the Power button or Reset/Interrupt button if necessary).
2. Immediately after the system startup sound, press and hold the Shift key until "Safe Boot" appears.
Note: There may be a considerable delay, particularly on larger startup volumes, since the disk check and repair take place before "Safe Boot" appears.
3. After the system is fully started up, restart again normally.

One other possible solution is to take your iBook to any friends you may have that they too own Macs and let them try to check your iBook via their own Macs to see if it is able to work in FireWire Target mode or something... Also, if your answer to my 1st question about installing Themes, Custom Boot images, etc. was positive (you shouldn't try to install 10.2.5 1st of all), the solution to this scenario may be this:
http://gordon.sourcecod.com/sites/aquafix.php

And to be more exact this:
http://homepage.mac.com/gordonbyrnes/software/AquaFix_man.zip

Quote from here:
http://homepage.mac.com/max_08/support_faq.htm
"If you have the possibility to access the harddrive, you should be able to get it to work. Go to the Aqua Fix homepage and download the latest manual install package and follow the install instructions.
Then do the following (quote from the AquaFix homepage) :

AquaFix can be run from the command line simply by typing "aquafix" at the command prompt in the Terminal application. This means you can restore aqua defaults even if your interface is messed up to the point of being unable to boot into OS X. The procedure for running AquaFix when you cannot boot X is as follows:
1. Start up your computer holding command-s
2. When you get a command prompt, type /sbin/fsck -y and press return
3. When the prompt returns, type /sbin/mount -uw / and press return
4. Type sudo aquafix at the prompt and press return
5. Continue booting OS X by typing exit at the prompt and pressing return.
You may want to print this procedure, as when you need to run it, you probably won't be able to access this document.

If you don't have an other partition or some other way of accessing your computers harddrive, I'm afraid you'll have to reinstall OS X."

Also, great info here:
http://www.resexcellence.com/hack_html_02/08-29-02.shtml
and here
http://www.ryandesign.com/jagboot/instructions.html
They are actually the same :rolleyes:

Of course because it is very hard to judge what actually gives via the internet, if all these seem TOO much for you or your friends I think it should be better for you and your iBook to pay a visit at an Authorised Apple Center, Store or something :D :p ;) :cool:

Let us know what gives...

Back