OnyX is NOT Freeware?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
OK, I was just doing some research on maintenance utility applications and I was under the impression that OnyX was freeware. It is NOT free. The reviews on SofoTex.com clearly state that OnyX is misleading in the sense that it is categorized as freeware when it is not. What's up with that?...

What in God's name are you carrying on about? You can download and use OnyX free of charge. I did and do. Yet, you are satisfied to read some website that most of us never heard of and get all exercised about what it says. It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. You may find candles and matches here.

Amie, I think what you read was posted by someone other than the webmaster, and is probably incorrect.

It looks to be about as free as it can get.

SofoTex is a crappy site and so far I think that whoever runs the site just copies MacUpdate.

Whenever I submit one of my products to MacUpdate, I get an email the same day from SofoTex saying some crap like "Your product has been approved" or "Thank you for submitting your product to SofoTex". Three times now I've told them that I didn't give them permission and that it's in violation of my license agreements to distribute without my permission. But they ignore me. The best part is when they tell me that their reviewers have given my product such-and-such a rating... I doubt they ever used them.

Normally, I don't mind when people post links to my software or website on their sites, it actually means a lot to me if they find my stuff worth writing about, but it looks to me like SofoTex just in it for the advertising revenues.

I may be wrong, maybe I'd have a different opinion if they answered my emails. =) But, I have read similar complaints about them from other developers.

*** Edit ***

Actually, I double-checked their site... and I don't see any ads. Odd. But their emails still annoy me.

MisterMe said:
What in God's name are you carrying on about? You can download and use OnyX free of charge. I did and do. Yet, you are satisfied to read some website that most of us never heard of and get all exercised about what it says. It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. You may find candles and matches here.

LOL!

Thank you, for both the information and the laugh. I don't know if you intended for your post to be funny, but it really struck my funny bone for some reason. Maybe it was the way you worded it, ah dunno. Anyway, thanks. :D

btoth said:
SofoTex is a crappy site and so far I think that whoever runs the site just copies MacUpdate.

Whenever I submit one of my products to MacUpdate, I get an email the same day from SofoTex saying some crap like "Your product has been approved" or "Thank you for submitting your product to SofoTex". Three times now I've told them that I didn't give them permission and that it's in violation of my license agreements to distribute without my permission. But they ignore me. The best part is when they tell me that their reviewers have given my product such-and-such a rating... I doubt they ever used them.

Normally, I don't mind when people post links to my software or website on their sites, it actually means a lot to me if they find my stuff worth writing about, but it looks to me like SofoTex just in it for the advertising revenues.

I may be wrong, maybe I'd have a different opinion if they answered my emails. =) But, I have read similar complaints about them from other developers.

*** Edit ***

Actually, I double-checked their site... and I don't see any ads. Odd. But their emails still annoy me.
Sue da bastids! ;)

One more quick OnyX question: I already have MacJanitor from which I run the cron scripts; and I repair permissions via Disk Utility. Would OnyX be redundant for me or does it do a lot of other stuff that MacJanitor and Disk Utility cannot?

Amie said:
LOL!

Thank you, for both the information and the laugh...
You are most welcome. On a serious note, you must remember that this forum and Sofotex are Internet sites. There is a lot of misinformation here. However, a lot of the misinformation can be cleared-up in a few seconds by doing a simple Google search. A search on VersionTracker.com or MacUpdate.com will clear up most software questions. In journalism, the standard is to get two sources before reporting controversial information. Get more sources if the information is sensational. Before accepting comments that upset you, do your own research.

MisterMe said:
You are most welcome. On a serious note, you must remember that this forum and Sofotex are Internet sites. There is a lot of misinformation here. However, a lot of the misinformation can be cleared-up in a few seconds by doing a simple Google search. A search on VersionTracker.com or MacUpdate.com will clear up most software questions. In journalism, the standard is to get two sources before reporting controversial information. Get more sources if the information is sensational. Before accepting comments that upset you, do your own research.
So you're in the journalism field, too! Well, hello, from one journalist to another! Actually, I'm no longer a journalist, since I got promoted to copy editor/designer. But I still enjoy writing--and do write--for the sake of writing, and also to market my poetry and short stories and sell them to magazines, anthologies, etc. Anyway ... hi. :)

OK, I'm at Versiontracker.com right now ... and there are about a zillion versions of OnyX. And there are more than one for Panther. Which version should I install?

P.S. And what's a "BSD subsystem"???

Um ... is there a manual that comes with OnyX? LOL I just installed it and launched it for the first time, and frankly, some of it is very intimidating because I don't even know what it's talking about. I recognize certain options, but not others. I'm not even sure what to do with it or how to perform certain tasks. I'm not sure which task I SHOULD perform! It's all so confusing! *sigh* I think maybe I should uninstall OnyX and stick with MacJanitor and Disk Utility. At least I KNOW how to use those applications. I don't think I'm ready for something like OnyX yet. :(

OK, I've been doing some reading about OnyX, and I just don't see what the big deal is. People rant and rave about the convenience of being able to call up and view system logs via OnyX, but hello! ... the Console utility application that came with my computer does the same thing!

Am I missing something?...

Wait. Before anyone bashes me over the head with my iBook, let me just say in my defense ... I now realize that there's an entire Help feature that comes with OnyX that explains all of OnyX's functions. Duh! Sorry about that, folks. Thanks for being so patient with me! I'm a new Mac user and I'm still learning! It must be very annoying for all you Mac pros seeing all my posts and "newbie" questions. LOL

Back