opening eps files with Preview?

perelachess

Registered
Hi there,

I am using preview to open eps files. But every time I quit, Preview ask me if I want to save the cahnges, even when I obviously didn t do any!!

this is quite annoying, How to set Preview to quit automatically?

thaks a lot!

Julien

The reason Preview does this is this: In order to display the EPS, it has to translate it to PDF. (Quartz is PDF-based, not PostScript-based.) So any EPS document you open in Preview is "changed" already.

THanks for your answer, so the follow up question, would be

"What do you use to quickly see an eps file?"

do you have a nice software to suggest? I tried cocoviewX, it is nearly perfect except it is cutting most of the files...

what else could do the job?

thanks a lot,

Julien

What's wrong with Preview?

Going in circles?
This is where the OP started, with opening EPS files in Preview. Because Preview apparently imports the EPS file, and not just a simple open, it always asks if you want to save the 'changes'. That would make reviewing a lot of EPS files a pretty slow process. So,
Do I get the general idea, Julien?

If you have Leopard you could try the Quick Look hint in this article:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071127072210308

Going in circles?
This is where the OP started, with opening EPS files in Preview. ...

If you have Leopard you could try the Quick Look hint in this article:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071127072210308
I am quite well aware that this thread started with the OP's looking for a way to change Preview's behavior. I thought that fryke gave him an excellent explanation. The only way to open an EPS file without converting it is to use an app that includes its own PostScript interpreter or GhostScript. The only [free] one that immediately comes to mind is MacGSView, a GhostScript viewer. Because ESP GhostScript is now an integral part of MacOS X, GhostScript viewers for MacOS X are becoming difficult to find. There is also gsclient, a part of the macgs-851-shlib GhostScript package. However, these GhostScript viewers are much slower than Preview.

Last edited:
I, too, would still use Preview. Open 50 EPS files in Preview (takes quite a while!), view them (then minimize the windows instead of closing them!) and then simply force-quit the application instead of dismissing each and every window's question about saving the file(s), much quicker.

Thanks !!!
yes macghostview is not too bad, fast enough. I have still a small issue with it, it automatically turn the file to get a letter presentationeven when I tick the "put the origin at the left botom corner"... but I will try to figure this out...

Back