opening pagemaker 6.5 docs in OSX (10.3)

darwin_22

Registered
i searched for some answers on this but couldn't find anything that was exactly the same as my situation. i have a mac g4. i used pagemaker 6.5 extensively under the 9.2 operating system. i upgraded to osX and am now having trouble opening/printing any of those old pagemaker files. i have copied them onto a memory stick from 9.2 and tried to open them in osx, but they come up as a unix document. how do i get these to at least just open in osx?

secondly how do i go about transferring my pagemaker documents to indesign? will doing this make any changes to the original pagemaker documents? thanks for any help.

You need to use some other means other than a USB stick to transfer the files over. I'm guessing that your USB drive is FAT32-formatted, and some resource fork or something is getting lost.

If you reformat the USB drive as HFS+, you probably won't have this problem.

You could also network the machines and copy the files over that way.

InDesign, if I remember correctly, can convert and open old PageMaker documents. It's not a 100% process if you use incompatible layout elements, so you usually just want to open the document and give it a good visual inspection.

I sometimes had to adjust text frame options after importing PageMaker 6.5 files to InDesign 1 and/or 2. But basically, you should still be able to run PageMaker 6.5 in Classic.

Back