Opinion Please

SGilbert

Registered
I just bought a new MBP. I tried to outsmart Apple, but it seems they outsmarted me.
I wanted the 2.8 I7 and 256 flash drive. Not available, even for order, so I selected 2.2 and upped it to 2.8.
That worked.
Just received it yesterday. Turns out that I do not have the AMD Radeon R9 M370X Graphics Card that the 2.5 & 2.8 have; only the processor based Intel Iris Pro 5200 (instead of both).

Did I make a horrible mistake? Will I wish I had the AMD? Is it able to be added? What added benefit would I be gaining with it?

BTW, my wish was for ultimate speed. I do not do intensive graphics, nor do I work with Photoshop. Occasionally use Pixelmator or GIMP, but only casually.

You received exactly what you ordered. In hindsight, you should have noticed that the graphics chip did not change when you added a custom CPU configuration.
So, you didn't outsmart anyone (except yourself) :D
With the upgrade processor, you will get that extra speed between 2.2 and 2.8 Ghz - at least for those functions that can utilize the extra speed in your processor, compared to the basic one. Either one will be fast.

If you expect to have buyer's remorse, then send that one back, and get what you actually think you wanted. And, as a "bonus", getting the graphics card (and the higher end CPU) that you want will cost you an additional $400...
Will that difference be noticeable for you, (and worth the extra money)? Only you can say...

Thanks for the comment. I fully realize that I got exactly what I asked for.

My biggest concern, before I think of returning/exchanging it, it WHAT the additional graphics card will/might do for me. And, is the built in Intel Iris Pro sufficient for normal tasks.

"normal tasks" are tough to define, as everyone's "normal" will be different.

But, IMHO, for the activities that you describe, the Iris Pro should be adequate for your use.

Had to go to the Apple store today for Thunderbolt adaptors and thought I'd ask there also.

I was assured that normal, day-to-day, usage would have no difference with or without the AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

Had to go to the Apple store today for Thunderbolt adaptors and thought I'd ask there also.

I was assured that normal, day-to-day, usage would have no difference with or without the AMD Radeon R9 M370X.

If you have a Thunderbolt 2 port then seriously look at adapters like ones from Caldigit Thunderbolt 2 Station or OWC Thundebolt 2 Dock or Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express.

Plus look at OWC's Thunderbolt section for external drives. I will suggest SSD drives for 4K video for the speed.

Last edited:
Back