Option key role on MS keyboard?

RobinS

robins
I'm trying to revise the original post as its really poorly described. My apologies.
Using a Microsoft 4000 keyboard with the Alt and Option functions switched (Swap Windows and Alt keys in Options / Microsoft Keyboard / System Preferneces.)
In Windows, the left and right Alt and Windows/Option keys are mirrored because sometimes its awkward to do some keyboard shortcuts with the left hand. In my OS X install, the right Windows/Option key activates Alt+Tab if I haven't done the Reassign Application key thing. If I hold the Windows/Option key down, it loops around as if I am holding Alt+Tab down for a few seconds. (Very fast - impossible to control.)

Now for a solution. I turned on the "Reassign Application key" in System Preferences, Microsoft Keyboard, Options area. So now the Option key doesn't wizz around. But it sure would be nice if it did the same thing as the left sided one.

Is this possible?

Windows keyboards do not have an Option key. There are Ctrl, Windows, and Alt keys. In OS X, use Command-tab to do what Windows does with Alt-tab. On my Mac keyboard, there is no right Option key, only a right Command key. What do you mean about the Alt-tab equivalent whizzing around? If you hold down the Command key and tap the tab key, the selection shifts one step to the right. Tap again, and it goes right one more step.

Well I have no idea what kind of keyboard you're using but every Apple keyboard that I've seen in this century has an option key on the right side as well as the left side. From left to right, its Control, Option, Command, Spacebar, Command, Option, Control.

On my Microsoft keyboard the "Option" key I'm referring to of course is the Windows key. However I should have mentioned that I have switched (in System Preferences, Microsoft Keyboard) the Windows/Option key with the Command key on my keyboard. So perhaps its the right Command key I should be enquiring about for traditional Apple keyboard users.

I redid the original post so it makes better sense. Hopefully someone can understand my scrambled description! lol.......

This could only happen on a Mac forum....lol.
Well - my original description was pretty pathetic....so no wonder we haven't had an answer posted yet.

Maybe someone else could tune in with some ideas here - someone with a standard keyboard.

This looks like a keyboard language preference area. I can't see any way of remapping keys.

Surely these is a simple way of must having the right Option key do what the left options key does? What do most people use the right Option key for? Or perhaps its the Command key as my Command and Option keys are interchanged on my keyboard.

The Keyboard & Mouse/Keyboard/Modifier Keys... will interchange the Option and Command keys, as well as the other modifier keys. That option swaps both right and left side keys. If you have one side swapped, and the other side does not swap, then the Microsoft software must be over-riding the system preferences. If you go to defaults for the modifier keys in the Microsoft software, can you then swap both side's keys around the way that you want by using the Keyboard & Mouse prefs?

I was thinking that I should have just posted this without even mentioning swapping out the keys. It really confuses the issue.

So if this helps, imagine that when I press the right Option key, its like I've just pressed Option+Tab and the system switches between open programs. Swapping out the keys makes no difference at all it turns out....lol.

If anyone can try it on their machine and let me know what happens, that would be great. Someone that actually has a right Option key that is....:)

Trying with my right Option key, which does nothing but activate the right Option key (same as the left option key). The two option keys activate option, and are not separate functions. That is, pressing one key activates both sides simultaneously.

Would be helpful to know what YOUR option keys do from your Keyboard Viewer utility - and if there is any change when you disable your Microsoft keyboard software?
I don't care to use that software, but it probably is what is interfering with that right option key, over-riding the system preferences.

I had an elaborate reply all prepared, then my Mini froze and my Pulitzer deserving reply was banished in a mere hypersecond to the far reaches of cyberspace.

Anyway: Sys Prefs, Microsoft Keyboard, Options, I've checked the box beside "Reassign Application key" and the functions are working perfectly.

"Keyboard Viewer" in Spotlight brings up nothing. What is it? I like your suggestion. As always you have an interesting way of looking at things. Thanks once again, Deltamac.

... Anyway: Sys Prefs, Microsoft Keyboard, Options, I've checked the box beside "Reassign Application key" and the functions are working perfectly.

"Keyboard Viewer" in Spotlight brings up nothing. What is it? ...

System Preferences/International/Input menu, click on Keyboard Viewer
Now, click on the Flag menu that is now in your Menu-bar. Open Keyboard Viewer. This represents your keyboard.
Press either Option key, and watch which keys respond on the screen.
Press your other Modifier keys to make sure which are affected.
Change your key assignments if you like. and try the Keyboard Viewer again to check if the changes are reflected, or other, unintended changes take place.
The normal change of Modifier keys is mirrored on both sides of the keyboard, not just one side.
I still believe that your Microsoft Keyboard pref pane is over-riding your system keyboard prefs.
Prove me wrong! :D

I think you are right about the overriding part. I wish I had a stock Apple keyboard around to use as a reference. Now what is really bizarre is typing fast and seeing the keyboard viewer flash each key as its being typed! :)

This is a superb little viewing utility.

Something odd though.....when I press the Option/Windows key the same thing is displayed (Option keys are darker grey and other keys are orange.) What 's the orange for? The Command key doesn't cause anything to be orange. Also unchecking the "Reassign Application key" doesn't change a thing. So I guess the Option key is the only key that initiates the unusual characters (∑´˚¬ø™´√˚ß, etc). But why orange?

Pretty cool though. I always used to wonder how people would generate those unusual characters.

The special keys you mention are those generated when pressing the option key. The orange keys are different, in that they add accent marks by doing a double-strike when typing certain letters, such as î, or ô, or à, or á ã (type the option-accent, then type the letter, and the cursor does not move until that letter is typed, and remains under the cursor) . The orange indicates those symbols that will create those accents. You'll notice that the Viewer then shows you which letters can have each accent - there are several. So, the orange shows you double-modifier keys. Amazing stuff, eh?

Yes - its a great program all right. Hopefully more people will use it. You'd think it would be under Keyboard and Mouse as well as International though. That's why so few people know about it. I guess they can't put it in 2 places.

Back