Os 9 Install On G3 With Os 10.2

Dendro

Registered
I was recently given a beige G3 tower with OS.10.2 installed on it. The colleague I received it from had wiped the hard drive and reinstalled 10.2 but forgot to reinstall OS 9.2.1. He sent me the OS 9.2.1 CD but it will not install by holding down the C key as the computer starts up. The OS 9 computer icon does come on as though OS 9 is starting up but then the screen goes black. If I continue to hold down the C key it will try again but the same thing happens. Once I let go of the C key the computer starts up in OS X. I have been reading some of the macosx dialogues that discuss similar situations and have tried checking for OS-9 drivers but the box in the erase section of disk utilities is not checked (it is also grayed out). There is an icon on the desktop the at says "Desktop (Mac OS-9)" but when I click on it I get a box that says "The alias "Desktop (Mac OS-9)" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found"
The question is, is there a way to install the OS-9.2.1 operating system from the disk that I have?
Thanks.

Try resetting the PRAM, then booting from the OS 9 CD. I had a similar problem on an older, G3-upgraded 7600 machine -- seemingly boots to OS 9, but shortly after the happy Mac appears, the machine rebooted spontaneously and began loading OS X.

Zapping the PRAM, then booting while holding 'C' worked for me.

Good news and bad. Your suggestion to reset the PRAM worked great and I was able to start up from the OS 9 disc and load it onto the hard drive. Now my problem is that whenever I attempt to access OS9 I get the Classic start up window but then a dialogue box opens saying "The system software on the start up disc only functions on the original media, not if copied to another drive. Restart" I can shut the Classic window down by clicking on the stop button to revert to OSX.
In viewing the start up disk I see that Both OS 10.2 and OS 9.2.1 are displayed but for some reason I cannot access the OS 9 system.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

Yes, you can't install OS 9 by moving the system folder to the harddrive, you have to actually _install_ the OS through the installer application. The system folder on the CD is a reduced one that's only intended to be used on that CD.

It sounds like I installed incorrectly. What I did was to start up via the OS 9 CD and when OS 9 started up (with the cd images in the background) a window opened with the contents of the cd displayed. I clicked on "install Mac OS 9.2.1" iconand the under "options" selected "clean installation" and it proceeded with the installation. There is also an icon labeled "MAC OS install" which seems to be more or less the same thing. Any thoughts on what I might have messed up or how I should proceed.
Thanks for the advice.

So from what I described it was installed correctly?
If I want to clear the OS 9 from the computer and try reinstalling it what is the best method for doing this as I assume I should not have multiple copies on the hard drive.
Thanks

Back