OS "EX" or OS "Ten"?

MacOS "Ex" or MacOS "Ten"?

• "Ex" all the way - they don't call 'em "Ten-Men"

• "Ten" is cool in a Superbowl-kinda way

Results are only viewable after voting.

vitaboy

Registered
Just wondering, but how many times have you heard people pronounce OS X as "EX" instead of "Ten?" I know Apple (for trademark reasons) has been pretty clear since the beginning about referring to OS X as version 10, but I've heard a lot of ordinary users referring it to is as OS "EX."

Should it be "ten" or "ex?" Would it be worth it to Apple to buy out the trademark "X" so that it can legally be referred to as "ex?" I think the trademark belongs to some embedded UNIX group or something, but I also remember Apple paying $1 million a bunch of years back for the right to use "Classic" for the Mac Classic model.

Personally, I'd like to see the day when OS X becomes simply that, so we don't have to worry about unwieldy names like OS XI, OS XII, OS XIII, OS XIV, and OS XV in the years to come! Or will Apple revert to arabic numerals (OS 11) instead of keeping with the roman system? So instead of OS XI (or OS 11) five years from now, we'd have OS X 2.0. This way, Apple would truly be making a clean break from the past in name as well as function in terms of the OS.

What does everyone else think?

I used to call it "Ex" few years ago before it offically launch... But since it was launched, I started calling it "Ten".

The proper way is "10." You don't call a Car a Trumpet, or a TV a Canon, so why not call "10" it's name: 10?

The only place I've (recently) heard it called "EX" are by n00bs asking questions in the Apple Store.

I think we'll see OS X 11.1 and such. By the time we get there (I'm guessing over a decade) who knows how far we'll have progressed and we may be passed the Macintosh onto something else only Sci-Fi can predict. So I wouldn't worry about "What come s after X" too much.

They should have promoted Mac OS X 10.0 as Mac OS X and let the version numbering be Mac OS 10.0. This is going to be awkward. Only two months after I first *read* about Mac OS X I first *heard* Steve say it should be pronounced 'ten'. Much too late for me.

So for now I'm either saying Mac OS 'X' or Mac OS Ten-point-one, Mac OS Ten-point-two.

Originally posted by dricci

The only place I've (recently) heard it called "EX" are by n00bs asking questions in the Apple Store.

Well, all I can say is that there are quite a lot of "n00bs" (probably numbering in the millions) who refer to OS X as "ex," probably because of names like Windows XP and the Athalon XP. I myself actually refer to it is as "ten" (especially when referring to incremental versions like 10.1.3), but I'm wondering if it's not better for Apple to just say "ex" itself as much of the regular public seems to be doing.

But I don't think we'll be waiting so long before we see the equivalent of OS XI or OS 11. Apple should be out with a major release like that in 2-3 years tops, or I would be really worried about the state of the MacOS. Ten years is an eternity in software development and while we may have something totally new and non-Macintosh by then, for now, the naming issue with regards to OS X's successor will be upon us sooner than we expect, I suspect.

I call it IX, it's dutch, because 10 in dutch sound stupid: Tien. IX sounds more "american":D

goodbye!

senne.

I can't help saying ex. It just sounds so much more cool! They should have created a whole new OS naming system that started with OS X 1.0. So the X is part of the OS name. Ten just sounds boring. Ex sounds cool.

I think "OS ten" sounds more proffessional and I try to say that, but I forget it because "OS EX" is much easier to pronounce and when your read it "OS X" you don't atomaticly think "ten" but "X".

Callilng it OS "ex" is just wrong. It's OS 10. That's it's name. End of story. Anybody who calls it OS "ex" is inacurrately referring to it.

Hearing it called OS "ex" bothers me almost as much as when people refer to movies, and alter the name of the movie slightly, aka "Fight Group", etc.

It's 10 people. It's the number that comes after 9!

I say "ten" when talking to non-Mac folks, but sometimes slip an "ex" into conversation with other Mac users. "Oh ess ex" I never say.
SJ may have gone the Roman numeral route because of the UNIX underpinnings, and/or the mathematical X being an unknown quantity.
;)

Well i call it OS 10 cause that is the name.. lol... i don t see why people call it X .. i mean. If your name is well published around.. you would get mad if someone still mispronounced it..

Plus i thin OS ten is MUch Much cooler than OS EX.

A plus is also that if someone calls it OS eX in front of me.. i automatically think he doesn t even know what he is talking about.... i mean .. at least get the name right..lol

Well it's my 2 cents

Apple really screwed up naming it. OS EX sounds much cooler. Its pretty stupid considering its OS X 10.1. Does that mean its pronounced OS 10 10 point 1? Also I sometimes refer to it as just 'X' I'm not going to call it just 10.

Do we really have to say that people who call it that don't know what they are saying or are 'n00bs'. Its apples fault for creating a cool name where one variation sounds cool :D.

And you say 10 comes after 9 I think that it should be called OS X 1.0 because its completely different from os 9!

I believe OS X 1.0 was Mac OS X Server 1.0. Been there, done that.

If you say "X" it sounds too Microsoft. Like "We're gonna call it X cause X is cool and everbody's doing it! Pay day!"

Heh. Call me a n00b. But only sometimes. I call it ten or X depending on my memory. I learned it as X, then found out it was ten. So now it's a habit to call it X.

Laughing at me? Quick, I am talking about a new product -- L. Is that 'ell' or 50? (I think L is Roman numeral for 50, I could be wrong. Anyway...) How the heck are you supposed to know unless it is specified? The first few places I read about OS X were on secondary websites, which didn't go out of their way to clarify. And the whole Unix XWindows thing was in my mind when I read it...

And I try not to use anything with a version of 1.0 -- especially something as complicated as an OS.

I had been calling it 'EX' for months until one day I called Apple with a question and they kept correcting me saying its 10. Doh!
Back when I thought it was 'EX', I actually thought that Apple was very clever with the name because the OS's core was UNIX based, and for some reason in my brain I immediately associated the X with uniX and X-Windows. Alas, my perfect vision of the world has since crumbled, and I have now been trained to say it 10.

-cybowolf

Originally posted by cybowolf
I had been calling it 'EX' for months until one day I called Apple with a question and they kept correcting me saying its 10. Doh!
Back when I thought it was 'EX', I actually thought that Apple was very clever with the name because the OS's core was UNIX based, and for some reason in my brain I immediately associated the X with uniX and X-Windows. Alas, my perfect vision of the world has since crumbled, and I have now been trained to say it 10.

-cybowolf

It IS actually called X partly because it's unix underpinnings, i belive. Like Linux, IRIX, HP-UX and AIX etc And partly because it sounds cool. But it's also combined to be "ten"

It's ten, dude. That's the version number.

But hearing people call it "X" doesn't bother me. What bothered me was when a friend of mine said she always pronounced it "oss-ex", like "OS" was a word and not two letters.

Eucch!

Of course, I'm the one who was always so fond of referring to AP Computer Science as "ApCompSci," so maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical.

No, never mind. I'm not. "Oss-ex"?!?

-the valrus

Back