OS "EX" or OS "Ten"?

MacOS "Ex" or MacOS "Ten"?

• "Ex" all the way - they don't call 'em "Ten-Men"

• "Ten" is cool in a Superbowl-kinda way

Results are only viewable after voting.
I call it 'ex' .. pretty much because it was the first big thing I had heard about Macs before I bought one, and I didn't understand the whole OS number system that was going on. I just can't break the habit, baby!

Originally posted by putamare
If Steve Jobs wore nothing but black turtlenecks, would you?

Steve Jobs DOES wear nothing but black turtlenecks... I think I read in Time magazine that everyday he goes to work at Apple, he wears a black turtleneck and blue jeans, because having to choose clothing is an unneccessary distraction... or something like that.

It's the Time with the iMac G4 on the front... yees...

Steve Jobs has adamantly been calling it Ten and making sure others do too. Unforunately for him, I think Ex sounds cooler so that's what I call it.

And, gee, surprise surprise, the rest of the industry also thinks "Ex" sounds cool.

Windows XP

Flash MX

How these freaking copy cat losers ever came to dominate will infuriate me to the day I day. Have they no shame?

p.s. I had dinner tonight with a client from Seattle who used to "pants" Paul Allen and have leftover coding paper shreds thrown at him from Bill Gates. Funny stuff.

OS X for eXtreme! Woohoo!

Seriously though, I would "like" to call it OS eX, simply because it sounds cooler to a juvenile like me, ;-) but I do call it OS 10 when talking to others about it.

-B

Ack! I just voted for the wrong one! Maybe I should pay attention next time...
Well, OS TEN all the way! PC using idiots at my school insist on calling it 'X', and they sound so stupid when they do :p

This is a fascinating study of brand-imaging and the sociological manifestations of distinction.

Anybody read that book where the guy travels to the future and all the people above ground (The Tens) are law abiding and rule conscious whereas all the people underground (The Xes) are free thinking schlubs who engage in all sorts of amoral (not immoral, folks) acts?

Now where do I want to be (especially since turtlenecks make me look fat)? heh.

OK, I admit it, I call it OS ex. Sounds like this marketing ploy is a little more controversial than AMD's XP :)

I plan to start calling OS 10.1.3 OS X.1.3 :)

I'm a nooby-blankity-blank-blank.
I don't care, it just leaves me room to flub things.

Someone: You FOOL!! you deleted the system folder!!
Me: Oops, sorry. I'm a nooby!

Ok, it only works the first couple of times, but hey. :D

It's not my fault! In my own defence...
When I first started to read (READ) about OS X, I simply pronounced it "Ex" because I READ it first and was not told that X meant 10.

And reading about Unix, Linux and BSD core... I assumed they had named it X because of Linux/Unix. :p

So I was talking to other non-Mac people about OS EX...

Then months later I found out that it was OS TEN...

Oh yeah... great! Now I can't call it OS 10 because it's been OS EX to me for a couple of months and I'm used to saying it already! ARGH!!!

Then I thought, maybe they don't want to call it X "EX" because of Xerox and are affraid that Xerox, after all this time, might backlash and sue? :p

I'm TRYING to call it OS TEN, but to me it's always been and probably always will be EX. It just sounds so much cooler! :D

Originally posted by brodie
so is it oss, or Oh Ess? i hear PC users saying oss, as in dos. do we mac users say O-S or Oss?

Somewhere in the middle...
It probably sounds more like "Oss" from me but there is a defenate pause/pitch change, more like OhEss stuck together. heh
But it's defenatly "Oh Ess". :)

So can someone expain why they get upset when someone mispronounces something? I just don't get it.

It's a lot like the difference between hacker and cracker. I hope I'm not opening up another can o' worms here -- I am not trying to get this discussion going about those. But people who use computers a lot get really upset when they use the term 'hacker' and others get immediately aggressive. The media has latched onto one term, hackers have latched onto another. As long as context is understood, what's the big deal?

Would it matter if it is something you don't like? For example, if I call that MS command line OS "D-O-S" does that irritate you? (this isn't aimed at any one person, btw)

We get pissed off because it just sounds dumb and it is making a farce out of the greatest operating system.

"Oss ex" just doesn't cut it! Plus, "OS" is an acronym, so it should be pronounced as one, not as a word. When was "os" a word that you could use in regular language?

It's just very aggravating – you know, a pet peeve that you really hate but you can't really put your finger on why.

So you'd be fine with calling that other OS "dee oh ess", since it's an acronym, and not a word, and you don't like it?

Not trying to provoke a flame war, just trying to understand.

I try and call it oh es 10, but I find myself calling it oh ess ex often just because thats what I first thought it was, and thats how it reads. I think calling it oss is really stupid though. Who doesn't know the acronym OS?

Oh, wait a minute that would be dumb brainwashed PC users!

Actually, I believe the correct definition of an acronym is an abbreviation pronounced as a word:

"A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a series of words, such as radar for radio detecting and ranging."

Thus laser, scuba, and NASA are all acronyms, but "O-S" is considered an abbreviation just as FBI, SFO, and the U.S. are all abbreviations.

If it was pronounced "oss," THEN it would be an acronym, but for 99% of the people, it's technically an abbreviation. ;)

My old boss used to say moDEM, annunciating the DEM, which drove me nuts. His point was pretty good when you think about the source words being modulate/demodulate.

By the way, hey sim. OS EX. Tee hee.

Come on, ya gotta admit, "ten" is a bit bland, eh?

Back