OS "EX" or OS "Ten"?

MacOS "Ex" or MacOS "Ten"?

• "Ex" all the way - they don't call 'em "Ten-Men"

• "Ten" is cool in a Superbowl-kinda way

Results are only viewable after voting.
Who'da thunk?

n00bs? I thought it was newbies?

do we need to vote on this too?

are we going tohave a 1337 speek-off here?

Can't say I am a newbie at this.

Just bad marketing in a digital age. You know,it is analagous to the lack of sarcastic tone in IRC.
Apple should have realized that most of the talk about the product would be in newsgroups, BBSs, IRC, and the like.

Look at the mystery and smoke and mirrors we all had to endure. X is the mystery.

10 may well follow 9. But this operating system will not follow "Classic"

Actually I am glad it's ten and not X. "oh ess ex" sounds to close to "Oh Sex" to be really comfortable with that as an OS... :D

I remember when the name and project goals were changed from Rhapsody to Mac OS X, and when Mac OS X Server was released in early 1999, so I can't help but call it Mac OS 10 or Mac OS 10 Server when talking about them.

This does remind me of the other great operating system name problem of the last 10 years... Linux. It is fun to hear people mispronounce it (Linux is pronounced with a short i, as in lih-nucks) because it tells you that they are new to the system. Also it was nice to hear it pronounced correctly in the IBM ads.

Like serpi said, it's pronounced "ten", end of story. And it REALLY bugs me, too, when people say "ex" instead of "ten".

Think of it this way. In the Classic Mac OS days, the name was "Mac OS" and the version number was "9.2.2". Today, the name is "Mac OS X" and the version number is "10.1.3". The X is part of the name.

Oh, and by the way, you can't trademark the X. It's a letter, for the sake of everything Mac! I can't believe Microsoft got away with trademarking Windows. It's just downright stupid. Next thing you know, we'll be trademarking pronunciations. :rolleyes:

Oh, and yes, you do say "mac oh ess ten ten point one point three". The first "ten" is part of the name, and the second is part of the version number. It makes complete sense. Just think of the X as part of the name.

Personally, I call it "ten," and when speaking to others, refer to it as "ten." If someone refers to it as "ex," I correct them, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I just figure people don't know.

What I AM pissed about is the double-decimal-point thing! What the heck is up with that? There is no such number as 10.1.3! It's just 10.13! You can't have more than one decimal point in English math! Arg!

But I suppose that's another thread...

YA money give you the right to call you as you want..lol....anywhooo... Apple clearly called it OS TEN from DAY one in their website, no mistake there regarding the OS 10 10.1 as someone said before.. wel no you cll it OS TEN that is it.. then if they ask you the BUILD number .. well that is 10.X.X
Anywhoo...

YA money give you the right to call you as you want..lol....anywhooo... Apple clearly called it OS TEN from DAY one in their website, no mistake there regarding the OS 10 10.1 as someone said before.. wel no you cll it OS TEN that is it.. then if they ask you the BUILD number .. well that is 10.X.X
Anywhoo...

Actually, software developers use multiple decimal points to indicate minor revisions. So a change from 10.1.3 to 10.1.4 isn't as big of a change as 10.1.3 to 10.2.

Why use those instead of just 10.13, you ask? So the developers can make more than ten minor revisions. With the double decimal point system, you could potentially have 10.1.15, but with the single decimal point system you would have rolled over to 10.25.

The software project I am working on now doesn't even limit itself to 99 revisions (we have a limit of two digits), because we use hexadecimal. So there was a build 07.08, 07.09, and now we're on 07.0A. That's 255 revision possibilities for those non-hexadecimal counting people...

I always call it Ten. Ten is the name Steve calls it by, so I will call it the same. I have friends who call it X, and it bothers the hell out of me

simx and others I'm sorry if I've deeply offended you by calling it OS EX. I will try to be more considerate of other people's feelings in the future :).

Oh and calling it X isn't Microsoft like. If I remember OS X came before Windows XP.

Anyways I call it Ex sometimes and 10 others. But now I'm just going to call it OS EX to piss all of you off

:D ;)

Originally posted by dricci
The only place I've (recently) heard it called "EX" are by n00bs

I think it would be fair to say - you might, just possibly hear some Unix/Linux converts/supporters calling it X. Since, strangely enough, the Unix/Linux CDE or Desktop Environ. is called (X). It is out of habit for some of us, what was the term, 'n00bs' but then again - Unix 'n00bs' migt call it the 10 Windows System instead of X Windows system? Who knows ;)

Originally posted by norsemann
Since, strangely enough, the Unix/Linux CDE or Desktop Environ. is called (X). It is out of habit for some of us, what was the term, 'n00bs' but then again - Unix 'n00bs' migt call it the 10 Windows System instead of X Windows system? Who knows ;)

Funny, most Unix 'n00bs' call it the X Windows System instead of X Windows or just X. Of course that is unless talking about something very specific dealing with OpenWindows or CDE or aspects of Motif. Or at the beginning of a reference paper it is often proper to refer to it as X Windows System when first mentioned, and then X Windows or X from that point on. In daily conversation, few people who work with Unix based systems would take the time to use all three words.

My problem is that it sounds like i'm saying OS sex... which just freaks me out. It's not that I'm a prude... but my operating system does not have sex... much like my parents. It's just a barrier I can't breach.

Also- os7, os8, os9, osX.... it's just a roman numeral... i didn't see a reason to call it 'ex' just because it didn't use two digits to convey the numeric value.

But mostly it's the whole os sex thing... freaky....

:( I really like calling it OSX. But RacerTen and SimTen, among others, are pretty convincing (although some are downright nasty...but that's another issue).

While I'm no Mac expert I have been a Mac user for some time (can I call my iBook a Mac? Or is it an Apple?) so I don't appreciate being called a n00b...but I'm sure I'll get over that.

OSX rolls off the tongue. OS Ten sounds like just another upgrade, which X is most certainly not.

Still, Steve Jobs calls it Ten in his video about opening the Apple store.

Well, most of the people I deal with on a daily basis around here are all PC users, so I guess it doesn't matter too much. And here in the X forum I can call it X and everyone can pronounce it as s/he sees fit.

Now if that wasn't a compilation of incohesive thoughts...

Well, I know that apple calls it OS 10. However, I call it Oh Ess Ex. The double 10 thing bothers me. Apple needs to do better than OS 10 10.1.3. I just won't say that.

As for the X Window system, it's just that. Adding the s making it the X WindowS System is incorrect. Still, I don't care. You can call it anything you want.

Vanguard

Originally posted by vanguard
As for the X Window system, it's just that. Adding the s making it the X WindowS System is incorrect.

Your right when calling it by the proper name, it is Window and not Windows. When use in the familiar form (slang) it is call X Windows (which I heard that before I had even heard of Microsoft's Windows).

And earector, just don't call me Racer-Sex!

:rolleyes:

... actually, that has a nice ring to it. :D

WHO CARES!

Just let people call it whatever they want! Geez there is no need to get angry over someone calling it OS EX. Just call it whatever you want as long as people know what your talking about.

Back