OS X Swingers Club...

Originally posted by jbartlett
Okay, wait a second here. I might be tempted to look at a guy in a "watering hole", but he's not the guy I'm gonna take home. Sitting in a dark, smokey bar makes most guys look pretty good, but then you get them home and in the light and yikes! Give me the wholesome, grocery store type guy any day. Or at least someplace where I have a clue who/what he is besides drunk. I think TWB was on the right track.

J

Altho I'm really not concerened with looks, what you said goes pretty much goes for me with girls... altho as close I've gone to a "watering hole" is a Billards room (with a "watering hole" heh), I'm really not intersted in drunks...

Now, Disneyland! There's a place! :D
LOL Just kidding! ;)

>>I guess "swinging" does not have quite the same meaning as it once did...

Swinging is couples looking for other couples or other partners...not single on single...that's called dating.

Hey! Now this place is my bag, man! I can't wait to get things groovin'!

But first--I have to go to the naughty chair and see a man about a dog.

So for the female posters out there, or the more advanced (experianced) gentlemen: do girls really care if guys hold doors open, always smile and say hi, or even remember names? Is it doing me any good to do these things? They've all become habits now, but i want to know if it will get me anywhere.

Trip - for purely physical attractions these things are worthless. for a real relationship, they're invaluable!!! don't leave home without them :)

Trip, as Ed says - just don't get TOO carried away...
I never thought I'd ever hear a girl say I was "too much"... not like I was "trying hard" or anything - it's just normal to me, I do it without thinking... geez! Oh well. :p

Swinger's Club? Hmm.... I know from experience that geek chics are difficult to find, well, even regular chics. And here's why...

Hi ladies,

I'm internet dating service member XP05QK2. I'm 34 years old, single (never married), no children, just getting out of graduate school with a masters in chemistry, lives at home with mom and dad, have student loans up the wazoo, NO HOUSE, own mutual funds that headed WAY south with the economic downturn, just started a job working through a recruiting agency making <$30K/year with 1.5 hours ONE WAY traveling time, drives an 11 year old Saturn with 200,000 miles, a cracked windshield, a dented front fender, needs engine rebuilt, tires, shocks, clutch, AC recharge, oh, and almost forgot the $4K in credit cards I owe.

Will you date me? Serious inquiries only please. Don't forget to include a picture with your response.

WINNER! DING! DING! DING!

Two words from MAD TV come to mind:

Lowered Expectations

Originally posted by chemistry_geek

Hi ladies,

I'm internet dating service member XP05QK2. I'm 34 years old, single (never married), no children, just getting out of graduate school with a masters in chemistry, lives at home with mom and dad, have student loans up the wazoo, NO HOUSE, own mutual funds that headed WAY south with the economic downturn, just started a job working through a recruiting agency making <$30K/year with 1.5 hours ONE WAY traveling time, drives an 11 year old Saturn with 200,000 miles, a cracked windshield, a dented front fender, needs engine rebuilt, tires, shocks, clutch, AC recharge, oh, and almost forgot the $4K in credit cards I owe.

Will you date me? Serious inquiries only please. Don't forget to include a picture with your response.

"OH GOD! IT'S FUNNY BECAUSE IT'S TRUE!" -Homer :D

Man... that's so me... well give 'n take a few points (less age, now unemployed/laid off, older car with lesser miles... damn... ok now I understand! :D :p :rolleyes: :enlightened: DOH!!!

geez guys, don't assume all women are so shallow and that you are nothing more than a measurable commodity. the things you have listed are all situational, are subject to change and reflect none of the muman qualities that would make you attractive to a woman. don't be so quick to think that you have nothing to offer. despite recent rating polls, life is not "The Bachelor" and women do not do background checks before accepting a date. and i've got more women into the backseat of a car worse than either of you describe than you would likely believe.

but you might have something with the lowered expectations thing - like maybe you should set your own expectations somewhere below a playboy model or a successful ceo. some females have the same problems you do and they are still worthwhile, attractive human beings in the process. don't expect perfection if you can't reciprocate, but also don't ewxclude yourself from life because you don't see yourself as perfect. :)

ed's dating advice for the day :D

LOL
Ed, I'm mostly really just kidding. :D
I'm just exagurating what the last one did to me... oy vey! :rolleyes: :D

Lower Expectatin? Me? Nah... I refuse to date "Playboy models" or even "wanna-be models"... they're simply BORING! :p

But... I do have High Expectations of the OTHER kind... to find a Geekett (Non-MS-Brown-Noser)/Gamerett would just drive me insane! :D ;)
Especially with long straight hair and glasses... woah! heh :D

OK, I am a married middle aged MOM...but you fellas need to lighten up . Brains are a huge aphrodisiac to many women...you might not meet them in bars and they may not all be playboy bunny clones. Plus geeks usually wind up being sucessful in life...they just need more time to be appreciated.

Originally posted by Trip
Hey, if i find a girl who even seems interested in me i'll die a happy man.

That's what I used to think too...
Then a foregnier came along and was only interested in/playing me for a greencard - or whatever they're called now-a-days (I later found out).

Not to mention the poor girl that thought I had money - and that she thought I meant "Late Model Mustang" when she heared I drove a Mustang (old, beatup, falling appart, with different color coverup paint/primer! lol).
I STILL feel sorry for her! NOT! LOL :D

Ok, enough bagging on them - that's really not my style. :)

Originally posted by chemistry_geek

Will you date me?
That was me 7 years ago (although with less education [BA in broadcasting], and thus smaller bills)

But between then and now 2 things have happened that may make you feel better:

1) Much better financial outlook:

a) I got a great job that has sustained me through both boom and bust
b) ...upgraded my 10 year old / 205,000 mile car for a 3 year old 75,000 car
c) ...combined with my partner, we bought a house (that has since doubled in value)
d) ...upgraded again to a brand new 0 mile car
e ...have an admirable 401K that is invested 75% in bonds (...and people said I was crazy!)

2) I found the love of my life...
... before ANY of the other things happened...

I guess this is my way of saying... "Yes, good things can happen even when it seems your prospects seem bad."

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
geez guys, don't assume all women are so shallow and that you are nothing more than a measurable commodity. the things you have listed are all situational, are subject to change and reflect none of the muman qualities that would make you attractive to a woman. don't be so quick to think that you have nothing to offer. despite recent rating polls, life is not "The Bachelor" and women do not do background checks before accepting a date. and i've got more women into the backseat of a car worse than either of you describe than you would likely believe.

but you might have something with the lowered expectations thing - like maybe you should set your own expectations somewhere below a playboy model or a successful ceo. some females have the same problems you do and they are still worthwhile, attractive human beings in the process. don't expect perfection if you can't reciprocate, but also don't ewxclude yourself from life because you don't see yourself as perfect. :)

ed's dating advice for the day :D

Ed,

I agree whole heartedly with your comments, but there is A LOT of pressure on guys in today's society "to be successful" in the financial/career sense. Let's face it, these drives are biological in origin. Women try to find the best "provider" for a family and men seek "beautiful" women for their good genetics. These drives provide a win-win situation for the offspring as they inherit the genes of a good provider and someone who looks healthy and physically fit. Some of these pressures are the result of the media and entertainment industry casting these stereotypes into our consciousness. Some of it due to social change of women working in the work force (FYI: I have no opposition to this; one must do what must be done to make ends meet). It's taking much longer than in previous years for people to "get established in life" to where they feel comfortable starting families. College is getting more expensive nowadays than in previous years and it's taking longer to get decent stable careers to support a family. I know from my own experience teaching college courses that some female students go to college for the sole purpose of getting their "Mrs." degree. There's nothing wrong with that; it's a good strategy for finding Mr. Right.

Basically, in my first post to this thread I was just ridiculing my situation. Looking only at my situation, I'm not a good catch, looking at the geek factor as Esteroali mentions, I might be a good catch, depends on the girl and what she wants out of life. And we all know that women have the final say so in choosing a mate.

I've met a few women (one of whom you know about) with professional degrees (i.e. masters degree, law, etc...) who are looking for a Mr. Right who has an income greater than theirs so that they can quite their professional jobs, marry Mr. Right, and stay at home and raise the kids. That kind of lifestyle is a dream for many. The American economy isn't set up like that anymore unless the husband has a 6-figure income.

Back