OS X turning into XP

spitty27

Apple Avid
OS X is starting to remind me a little of XP now how in 10.2 it fades in and out for logging in and out and when you change the resolution/colors also fades in and out...and whats this talk ive heard about a mouse shadow in 10.2? i dont have that...or is that gonna be in a future update..even MORE like xp. i dunno just felt like sharing that.

All those things you mentioned are very cosmetic. None of them define XP to me, nor remind me of XP. No if OX went to a ugly green and blue interface, that hurt my eyes then I would agree and be distraught. But the changes you mentioned don't remind me of XP, and I think they help to make my user interface smoother.

Matthew

I use XP at work (along with 98/ME/NT/2K). This to me reflects classic XP:

I like to keep all my desktops as clean as possible. When I installed Acrobat on my XP box it put a shortcut on the desktop. It is the only shortcut on my desktop. I never use it, but I've been meaning to delete it...

One fine day, XP warns me that my desktop could use a little cleaning up. I was going to cancel the warning, but I thought, maybe this is the sort of thing that people who like XP think about when they talk about XP. SO I click on the icon and I get this wizard....

The wizard takes me throught 6 screen doing assorted things like putting up a looong explanation of what it is going to do, giving me a list of desktop icons and the last time I used them, etc., etc....

so I go through the wizard and click on all the screens and what do I end up with? A folder on my desktop with a name like "Cleaned up items from the desktop." This folder contains the acrobat shortcut I've been meaning to delete. *arrrgh!*

That really reflects what XP will be like... You kind of think why do I bother, but you do it any way and at the end just want to kick yourself for wasting time doing something that is supposed to help you but doesn't get you any further ahead than you were...

MacOSX is nothing like XP and it is certainly not heading in that stupid, you-are-too-mentally-deficient-to-even-know-when-you-should-delete-your-desktop-icons way. :D

also, the drop shadow for the cursor shows up in my 800 iMac, but not my 350, so it must be a Quartz Extreme thing.

The shadow did show up on earlier Macs with early builds (WWDC), but they changed it a little. Having a QE capable card is now probably a requirement, since the compositing of the shadow can then be done in hardware. Do you honestly know how ugly the cursor would get if you used hardware to draw it and then software to draw the shadow? The cursor and shadow wouldn't keep up... Apple toyed with drawing the whole cursor in software for the WWDC build, but apparently decided against it.

it should automatically detect if the computer has qe, and if it doesn't it should use the software, just to be consistent.

I was just at the Apple Store at the Mall of America today, playing around with the new towers and I noticed it as well. It's a very subtle effect, doesn't stick out so far as the one in Win2k/XP. I like it better, the one in win2k/xp annoyed me, this is just a nice small touch for os x.

I like the XP shadow. When I first saw it I thought, "That's the kind of cool detail that Apple usually thinks of first."

Can somebody post a screeshot? Does the shadow move to match the pointer when you click? Does anybody know how I can enable it?

Vanguard

drop shadow only shows when you have QuartzExtreme capable video card. no drop shadow, your card will not use QE. (shadow best seen with a white background)

this link was offered up earlier this morning by...shoot I forgot, but it was very helpful. I've been in these forums and MacAddict forums for the past 2 hours, so I can't remember who originally found this.

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=15911&db=mac

this little app will tell you for sure if your machine is using QE.

I'll remember who originally posted this link and give them credit

:D

here it is: the thread is Quartz Extreme Check. thanks to devonferns :)

devonferns
Bill Gates babo

Quartz Extreme Check

I just came across this application called Quartz Extreme Check. It's supposed to check if your hardware supports QE.

http://www.versiontracker.com/morei...15911&db=macosx

It most likely only works in Jaguar because it unexpectedly quits on me in 10.1.5

¥Ÿ?£?‘ ª´´?¢«ÿ

Anyone noticed that there is an extra pixel on the end of the pointer which makes it sharper as well!? (Nice)

Does the Rage128 pro support QE? I have not seen a flat out yes or no on this. I won't have Jag until i get back to school and i really would like to know if my G4 will support it.

theres also an extra pixel when you select items (when you click and drag accross the screen to make a grey box...) the bottom right pixel didnt exist before. also sharper.

Been using Jaguar for a couple of days on both my machines. Neither support Quartz Extreme, but I knew that going into it. Perhaps I should break down and stick a GeForce 4 card in my upgraded Sawtooth G4/450 (now a dual 500.)

Or maybe I'll just wait until they start using IBM CPUs...

As for that XP thing... I have noticed some UI changes, but for the most part they just make it LESS like XP. I like how they've toned down the ultra-puffy buttons and made things generally look less obtrusive but still look like OS X. I love all the new system sounds too, the old-school "purr" was really starting to bug me...

I guess it doesn't :(

Well I don't plan on replacing my system just yet, sometime next year she will have a new sibling, till then, she sits alone.

Hasn't the log in graphics always faded in and out? At least it did before 10.2. Don't know for sure when it started.

Well to all people that claim that the shadow appears ONLY if you have a QER enabled card...well... you need to go mere in deep thatn that...cause it is ABSOLUTELY FAKE
QE is not eye candy... QE is only a graphic engine....so it does NOT add ANY feature or eyecandy to the gui...it is NOT made for that and it will NEVER do that...it is only a rendering engine for PDF based graphic and the AQUA GUI.
The little shadows appears on my iBook 600 G3 ..with a NON supported QE card.... so as explained before... no problem there... i see the shadow...
Quartz Extreme DOES NOT add ANY feature to the Aqua qui...it only speed it up by sending the info to the VC for rendering instead of sending the info to the CPU... that is it... it does not add any feature no way....especially cause otherwise people would start firing up against Apple for giving some stuff to some people and not to others....and Apple does not want that!!!especially for a small thing like that shadow...
Do you really think a small tiny shadow like a pointer's shadow requires more than 8 mb of VRAM? oh c'mon..

All I can say is that on my LCD iMac with QE supported I have a pointier (yes, for some reason pointer) and shadowed arrow, and on my G4 466 with dual monitors both unsupported by QE, I don't have a pointy or shadowed arrow!

For the record, the mouse shadow has absolutely nothing to do with Quartz Extreme. Seems like it has more to do with what kind of mouse cursors the video card supports.

I am not seeing the shadow on either of my QE-enabled monitors.

Quartz Extreme Checker tells me both displays are accelerated -- though I don't need it to tell me that, since I can see and feel it myself. And no shadow.

The whole "mouse shadow equals QE" thing is an urban legend made up by bulletin-board spamming teens talking out of their rear sections.

Back