OSX 10.1 review by: vic

vic

RRRrrrRRRrrrRRrrr
:)

http://homepage.mac.com/freelancevictor/PhotoAlbum.html

yesss folks, it rocks....

Finder: to say the least, it doesn't get any faster.
Os 9.2 was made for os 10.1, photshop is as fast in the classic as if booted in the original...
the cool sound up/down buttons work cool now any when you press them, a little screen pops up that shows you the volume (couldn't take screenshot)
And, this is a big one, at least for me ;) the old screen capture shortcuts have been restored! it's SHIFT+CMDN+3 for full screen and SHIFT+CMDN+4 for selection, no more of that crappy grab app, which just made things slower.
ALL aps start up faster, usually a few seconds 1-5 more for bigger ones of course.
The apple colour in the aple menu has been changed to a lighter more "Aqua" color.
Explores is as fast as in 9.2.
Carbon apps work better as far as i know, (didn't do extensive testing)
The login menu has changed and as if the old one wasn't cool enough! The new one rocks ass, it shows u the avalable users, and when you select one it >shifts over beside a pasword type in field! it's so hype, and you can customise it further if you don't like that.
Dock, many otions, i like this, options are good.
And hey, this is neat, i'm not shure if it was available before but i just found out now: if you hide the dock, and a application needs your attention, it bounces like a ball at the bottom of the screen, its funny especially with the happy finder icon, it looks like a child trying to peek over a fence!
well, that's it for now, i also saw a burn icon in the > customize toolbars in the finder prefs, didn't try it but maybe finder burning is available...
check out more pics at:http://homepage.mac.com/freelancevictor/PhotoAlbum.html

The login menu has changed and as if the old one wasn't cool enough! The new one rocks ass, it shows u the avalable users, and when you select one it >shifts over beside a pasword type in field! it's so hype, and you can customise it further if you don't like that.

I cant wait for my copy of 10.1 but whats up with the new login? I dont want other people to see all the users. I like the fact that you have to type the user name and password in. I wanna keep some user info a secret.

Twister

From every review that I have read, it is possible to choose either picking from a list, or having to type the name. I think that should make everyone happy.

Does the final version automatically offer to resize desktop picture wallpaper to fit the screen?

I really hate that you have to manipulate the photo yourself in 10.4.

Originally posted by twister

I cant wait for my copy of 10.1 but whats up with the new login? I dont want other people to see all the users. I like the fact that you have to type the user name and password in. I wanna keep some user info a secret.

It's still an option to not show the users and type the name and password manually, no problem! However I like the user name selection better, as it is in os 9. :)

Yes, login has definitely the option to either have the list of available users or to enter both login and password. I use the first on my iBook (where several people have their user spaces) and autologin on my TiBook, because I never give that to *any* other person, anyway. ;)

Expect speed everywhere, not just in Finder and starting apps. Boot time has also been reduced dramatically (unless you reboot without the last chosen network available, but that's normal).

Explorer finally doesn't suck that big anymore, but I'm waiting for OmniWeb 4.1 because I just like that company that much.

StuffIt Deluxe 6.5 also greatly enhances the Finder experience by adding the shortcuts cmd-s and cmd-u I was so used to in 9.x.

Dock options suck if you have a two monitor setup, because 'left' means left on the left monitor and right means right on the right monitor, it should either stick to the main monitor or be totally relocatable (by hand would be my preference).

Fetch 4 needs definitely an update. It doesn't run in 10.1 right now.

The console application 'wget' has gone, which is sad, it was a great option to download stuff in the background, because most browsers (Explorer, OmniWeb, mozilla) still suffer in speed when you start too many downloads at the same time.

Overall review: Mac OS X is finally ready for prime time. Big time.

thank you!! i thought i was the only one withoug wget! i thought i fucked up my computer or something!

How do u know those are not just foders with custom icons made into shortcuts containing nothing? it's certainly possible right?

The picture is really cool and I like the way the dock looks now... I would just change the content to say, the Utilities folder. And no, I cannot read minds (if I could, I would be RICH!!!), but the Carracho Server/Client, Limewire, and the Surfers Serials kinda give it away. =)

No use asking for trouble.

About the login. My wife will be excited about the pictures in the login screen. She spent about a half an hour picking hers when I set it up in OS9. She finally begged me to make a custom one for her. Does the Finder use the custom pictures as icons for the User folders?

>Does the Finder use the custom pictures as icons for the User folders?

Unfortunately, no. It'd be cool if it did, though.

Originally posted by cybergoober
>Does the Finder use the custom pictures as icons for the User folders?

Unfortunately, no. It'd be cool if it did, though.

Actually - you can choose a custom picture. there is alist of regular stuff (cats (pumas, cheetas, etc - get it?), landscapes, various X's), but you can also open finder and select a picture. I didn't try it so I dunno if it resizes it and whatnot.

E

Hey. You can type this: echo $PATH to see what paths are that are already stored inside your computer. If /bin/ is not in the list (ever entry is separated by a colon like this: /usr/bin/:/Users/yourusername/:bla bla bla) then you can put this in your .tcshrc:

setenv PATH "${PATH}:/bin"

and open a new term window to execute it. Or you could just put the wget binary into your /usr/bin/ directory and it should work fine, as /usr/bin/ should already be in your PATH.

I didn't know you had to open a new terminal window - that's all I needed to do (/bin was already in my path).

But thanks muchly for the PATH tips - I'd always wondered how it worked.

E

I knew i'd seen that syntax somehwere... i checked the xfree86 instructions and ta da, there it was (telling how to put /usr/bin/X11R6/ in your path). I suppose i could have just checked one of my unix books, but I'd have had to turn my swivel chair, and that meant moving. ;)

You don't necessarily need to open a new Terminal window to get the new command. Just type

rehash

and you should be fine (for future reference).

Back