OSX 10.5 "Sabertooth"

It's supposed to be used as a roman numeral...but it's pretty retarded to say

"Mac OS Ten Ten Point Four."

hence "Mac OS Ten Tiger"

I've always called it "oh ess ecks" because it rolls off the tongue. And it's also what I've been calling it since well before it was released and people just knew it was what was coming after 9.

You'll never hear Jobs call it X though; always pronounces it "ten".

actually that's a good point. while we have something silly like MacOS X 10.4 Tiger, at least we don't have 95 (which nearly came out in 96), 98SE (the first edition was incredibly buggy, even by windows standards) Me (!!) or XP (two random letters that is close to, but not exactly the same as to get sued, as MaxOS X) which they justify as being eXPerience. now they have Rick Longhorn.

twaddle

texanpenguin said:
I've always called it "oh ess ecks" because it rolls off the tongue. And it's also what I've been calling it since well before it was released and people just knew it was what was coming after 9.

You'll never hear Jobs call it X though; always pronounces it "ten".

I guess there was the fear that people would hear "Mac OhSex". ::ha::

Regardless, I think Mac Oh Es Ecks would have been a better pronunciation, emphasizing the fact that it is a UNIX OS. I guess Jobs wanted to keep the numeration progression continuous instead of starting over with a 1.0 designation. But of course, since it's all basically new, it should really be considered 1.x. Whatever... :rolleyes:

Absolutely, positively nothing. From Microsoft's own mouth. Can't provide a link, but I remember Microsoft stating that XP doesn't stand for anything.

The "XP" in Windows XP is actually a smiley. It's supposed to look like the expression someone makes after taking a sip of spoiled milk — eyes pulled together, toungue stuck out. It's properly pronounced "Windows...BLEAGH!" You have to admire Microsoft's honesty in their naming system. Windows Me was perfect, too, except that most people didn't know it was named by an angry drunk carjacker, so they had no way of knowing who "me" was or how he or she was similar to the OS.

they said at the time that it stood for Windows eXPerience. which is quite silly. love the Windows Bleugh! though... brilliant

Mikuro said:
Windows Me was perfect, too, except that most people didn't know it was named by an angry drunk carjacker, so they had no way of knowing who "me" was or how he or she was similar to the OS.

LOL!! :p

Windows...BLEAGH!

EDIT: Hehe. My post created the 8th page for this thread. :p

how about mac osx : poacher [as in an elephant hunter]

to battle the longhorn, theyll both be released at the same time?

Back