OSX Ftp client?

Chazam

Apple Virgin
Hello all.
Is there a built in FTP client for OSX or are there any downladable ones available? :)

Giaguara said:
you can also use terminal for ftp if you don't need the gui.

and rbrowser lite is one more free thing to try.

I have to second Gia on this one - as far as the rbrowserlite goes. terrific ftp app (especially if you're coming from the windows world)

michaelsanford said:
Built in, yes. In the Finder choose Go -> Connect to Server (or hit Apple-K on the keyboard) and enter the server. It will mount like a remote volume on your desktop.

Be warned that the Finder's FTP implementation is read-only, so you won't be able to copy files to an FTP server.

Try Cyberduck (look on www.macupdate.com )
Really quite good, only thing I'm not happy about is there is no option to batch-change permissions on files (annoying if you use PHP)

Fetch, Fetch, Fetch. Fetch Fetch, if you ask me. :) There's free edu-licenses, if you apply for it. Oldest and best FTP-client around for the Mac. For the Terminal, I'd use ncftp, as it's much more comfortable than just ftp.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Be warned that the Finder's FTP implementation is read-only, so you won't be able to copy files to an FTP server.

Does anyone know why this is, and if its ever likely to change? It really would be amazing if you could up and download without third party apps - after X has its own firewall and even Apache webserver, why not full ftp?

For my 2 cents, the only ftp client I could get to upload to or delete from my server was Cuteftp, which was brilliant - easy to use and quick. Don't know why Fetch and Captainftp didnt work - they either just wouldnt connect at all or wouldnt upload, can't quite remember now...

Chazam said:
Hello all.
Is there a built in FTP client for OSX or are there any downladable ones available? :)

Try Interarchy. It's downloadable, built for Panther, drag n drop. I've used it for about a year and i've had no problems.

Macpurist :cool:

1. Transmit is a great program.
2. Fetch is too, though it is limited more by firewalls than Transmit is. At least in my experience. :)

Back