ouchie...

I once had a mac experience that i thought was going to be a huge nightmare, but then i called apple support and they told me where the hole for sticking in the paper clip on my cd drive is, and all went smoothly. i've quickly and easily gotten out of this jam several times since then using this knowledge. :D

ok, i'm feeling a bit smart assed tonite, but that is a true story.

frankly i'm sick of people defending pc's on a mac forum. this place used to be a sanctuary for mac users to gather and feel good about themselves and their platforms and now all you multi-platform users take it so personally every time we bash a few windows. you ever check out what ignorant pc users say about macs and mac user? maybe people should be educating them instead of us?

i'll probably delete this later, right now i'm just blowing off steam. :(

You can make up things all night long to feel good about yourself but that doesn't make what you're saying true.

My Mac is the best. It never crashes, its 10x faster than my PC and it gets me straight A's in school! My PC is crap! It crashes all the time. Windows is the devil and Bill Gates can kiss my a**!

Feel better Ed? :p

I think what multi-platform users try to do is bring a sense of reality to some Pro-Mac, Anti-PC discussions.

get your bs strait -
billy gates is the devil and he can kiss my @ss.:p

seriously - you've never heard me going around saying macs are perfect and they can't be improved. never. i can point you to a forum or two around here that provide indisbutable evidence otherwise. but that doesn't mean it's not better than windows and pc's in my experience as a computer user. always trying to dismiss opinions with 'evidence' and 'facts' is pretty pointless. people only change their opinions thru experience. normally it requires a significant emotional experience (s.e.e.)
and all the emotions i have experienced with prolonged pc use are unpleasant ones.

Originally posted by itanium
I think what multi-platform users try to do is bring a sense of reality to some Pro-Mac, Anti-PC discussions.

already responded to some of this in my last posts, but i'll repeat, do you bother to do this with windows users as well? if so, how about giving us some of the myths you dispell with them?

sheesh you guys

pcs and macs are about the same IMO, most if not all ignorant people in the world use pc's, also pc's have a wild card to their hardware, so there are obviously going to be more issues

but in the end if you get a well built pc and a well built mac, and a somewhat intellegant person uses them both, they will for the most part have few problems

which is me ;) ive had few probs either way, and i love both platforms

if someone went about saying "mac osx sucks, it cant multitask, etc etc" i would defend it, if someone said "win xp sucks, it cant multitask etc etc" i would defend it, i call it "being real"

get over yourselves for once, they are MACHINES with software on them, who in the bloody hell cares which one is better? just use what works for you and go on with life

sorry for the rant ;)

tee hee

yo Buddah :D

i agree with your stance. at least in theory. as long as you accept that both are different and are going to appeal to different people. since i have used both, my opinion is that macs are better. that's my opinion and it applies to me. it applies to my perception of my experiences. i'm not trying to convince anybody else. i don't need to. and no amount of telling me this and telling me that is going to add to my experience. and honestly, would you want to dispell my personal perception and convert me to pc's? just because i might overrate the mac experience in comparison with yours? in real life, i've never met anybody who has tried to sell me on pc's instead of macs that didn't work at best buys, circuit city, fry's or the lot of pc discount stores. I've had some people question my use of a mac, but never anybody get evangelical on me. and in return, i've never tried to sell anybody else on a mac. except my stepdad who insists upon believing that his son knows more than i do, even though his son never has anything to do with him except talk on the phone and borrow his van while i have helped him with his pc on several occasions. pc experts sell him on all that expandability stuff, but he doesn't do that work, so he pays for it to be done and it costs as much as a new g3 imac does. My Gf's son switched from macs to pc for college and had to return it for hardware repairs twice in the first year. When he visits, he doesn't ask to plug his laptop into out router, he uses the mac and never complains.

yes, when we talk about pc's, we are really talking about at least a hundred different types of computers that include dell, compaq, gateway, etc.so we really aren't being fair to the whole bunch. but if it's such a great platform hardware wise, shouldn't they all be about the same in terms of being able to run the os at least? but alas, as i mentioned, we are always going to be comparing lemons and oranges when comparing pc's. at least when we talk about macs, we know what we are talking about - a unique computer with a unique computing experience. you aren't going to get it on a dell. you aren't going to get it on a gateway. you can only get it from apple and you can be sure that there is a large user base of people who have gotten the same experience.

so when people want to get excited about how much better macs are than pc's, keep in mind that is their experience and they are entitiled to it. ghz aren't part of it. and windows was a bad experience for these people. for unlike macs, it's not easy for somebody to go thru life and not have to experience windows and pcs. and regardless of what all the linux geeks here proclaim, the average pc experience is a windows experience. so that even if you had the best pc hardware ever made, you are stuck with windows. and some of us just don't like it. for whatever reasons. if you like windows fine. use it. just don't try to negate our perceptions with yours. that only devalues our perceptions and makes us feel devalued. give your perceptions, but not as arguments. just as a personal opinion. because in the end, which computer and os a person likes is nothing more than an opinion.

and buddah, most of this was more my general feelings about this than any direct accusation of the way you present your opinions. i don't mean to devalue your sense that both work for you. that's your opinion and i'm glad it empowers you to be able to enjoy both. It just doesn't work for me and a lot of other mac users. and i can't really speak for them, but i'm getting pretty tired of somebody having to try and put a rain cloud over them every time they get excited about the mac experience. if both are so good, then why not just let each kind of user enjoy what they use without having to make them seem like "they're just computers man"?

Apple isn't a bubble, it's not a religion, it's not exempt from paying taxes to the IRS or making a profit for its shareholders. Bill Gates is not the devil, he is an intelligent business man who knows how to "make one's own luck". He's done more for the computing industry than all of Apple ever would.

and this site and forum isn't apple. want to bitch and moan about apple, do it to apple at apple's site. this site is for mac users. it's supposed to be a place to talk about our macs, celebrate the os x experience and help each other out. a place we can bond together as a community. if you don't like the koolaid, don't drink it. a year ago, that's what this site was. so yes, it is supposed to be a sanctuary for apple fans. there's plenty of places to bash us elsewhere on the web. We went thru this whole 'apple bashing' and flame baiting thing awhile back and a few people were removed under a zero tolerance for trolls policy. now it just seems like it's starting again and frankly, i'm getting too old and wise for this sh*t.

it's one thing to correct some misunderstandings about what windows will and will not do in the name of reality. it's ok to discuss the relative advantages of mac vs pc hardware, but constant bashing of all things mac just because they're not following your agenda is another thing and it is getting old real fast. and i'm not pointing a finger just at you macluv. there are others and i would think they know who they are.

yea, i'm heading that way real soon. the chargers have the early game tomorrow. if i wake up in the morning and regret anything i said, i'll delete it. but i have a funny feeling i meant everything i said around the site tonite, i just might not have said it too well. :rolleyes:

it could be having gotten up so early for the ohio state game (GO BUCKEYES !! ) but you'd think i'd be in a good mood after them winning and heading to the BCS national championship game.

:)

sorry ed, i just get sick of people saying that one is better than the other, when in the most basic sense of things they are the same

i understand preference, according to taste anyways

but i bet if i built you a pc, and you still had your mac, obviously you would love your mac still but unless you did something stupid you would run into few problems on the pc as well

generally most pc probs come from the giant manufacturers such as sony, dell, compaq etc, every pc related problem i have solved has been on these type of machines, not on ones that are built by someone trust worthy ;) so in my opinion i think its a little harsh to judge all of pc-dom on all the crappy cheaply built pcs being used by techno phobes out there

as far as converting someone either way, i think converting is a bullsh*t word for this anyways lol, when someone asks me for advice on what computer to get i first ask them what they like better, how much money they have etc etc, if someone says they need a fast, reliable computer for 1000 im not going to point them at a used G4, im going to point them at a new pc built by someone trustworthy, because it will save them money and it will work, but if they have money i will tell them well you can get a good mac or a really good pc, they will do about the same for you, its just mostly a difference in operating system and go from there

i treat them on equal ground because in my view they are very much equal, obviously i like some mac things better and i like some pc things better, its like owning a camaro and a mustang, most people would look at you weird, and almost everyone would tell you one is better than the other, when in reality one is better at straight performance, the other handles a bit better, one rides smoother as well, etc etc

anyways i'll make it clear im not a mac, basher, i run a mac lab at a college and i have two macs at home and i trouble shoot all my friends macs, so i run into plenty of mac problems, i just think too many of the mac lovers out there are in denial that when a stupid person uses any machine its gonna break, just there are more people in general using pcs, which means more stupid people, which means more problems

(and no you arent stupid if you have a problem with a computer, you guys know what i mean)

and ed, you know i respect you, but i think its rather harsh to tell people to not defend something, that view is very much the same as telling african americans to not defend their rights in the south in the early to mid 1900's (overkill i know, but same concept if you think about it ;))

and yes ive defended macs in pc forums, but youd be surprised how many pc users like macs, they just dont use macs because of gaming or other specific programs or money or something

sorry ed, i just get sick of people saying that one is better than the other, when in the most basic sense of things they are the same

buddah - i pretty much agree with all of your last post with the exception of your opening statement here. it's true if you define the "basic sense" as the fact that they are both computers and both will handle certain computing tasks like web surfing, word processing, cd burning, etc. but how they do these things is more different than similar in my opinion. and that is where preference comes in. and that is where one has to be "better" than the other for most people. and the people who come here are mac users and hence 99% of them have got the opinion that macs are better - better for them. we aren't talking about the unitiated here. like i said previously, we've all had experiences on pc's. unlike most pc users who have only seen macs, and not used them. yet the "better" aspects of the mac have to be experienced. they can't be translated into specs and features. they have to be subjectively determined by using a mac. and once one has experienced both os's, they are entitled to have the perception that one is superior to another.

this is why this is a mac users' site and not a general computer users' site. we used to have a windows forum but practically nobody ever used it. so when cross platform users are here, they should have their mac caps on.

i also guess i have a hard time understanding why anybody would be upset with mac users being a bit over proud of their platform. out in the world we are sometimes bashed by people who don't know anything about macs. 3rd party manufacturers often treat us as second class citizens of the computing community, despite the fact that the imac is the number one selling computer model of all time. there are countless stories on this site about people who work in IT who have had to endure the derision of their co workers. some of those stories include happy endings of people who ended up eating their words once introduced to the osx experience. but there are still many here who have to fight this fight in the real world at work on an everyday basis. why should they want to come here and fight it again? get my drift?

again, let me make it clear that i am speaking these things in general terms and not directing this specifically towrds you bobb. i think in general you do a pretty good job of being diplomatic about your educational interjections. i wish everybody would. it's often not what we say, but how we say it that affects others.

indeed it is ed, i understand what you are saying, i mean for the most part though, the hard ware is the same besides the cpu and mobo, the casing is different but IMO thats superficial, reall the only thing different is the os, and even then if you look at the mac os and windows os years ago, they were fairly independent, and now they are slowly merging towards each other, getting more and more simlar with each build... im sure you guys will say windows copied mac and im sure others will say mac copied windows, but the fact is in a competitive environment companies borrow ideas to improve their products... which is happening between both systems

i have my pc and mac on right in front of me, and i can use either without hesitation or confusion, that says alot about the consistancy of both os's

anyways regarding pc trolls and others that give you a hard time because you use a mac...

do you want to do eye for an eye and lower yourself to their level and play their games?

or do you want to be more mature and not worry too much about the trolls, and concentrate on facts?

i choose the later, i dont care what system is being discussed anywhere, if someone makes a comment as ignorant as a couple that have been posted here, im gonna take aim at it to educate the poster ;)

i under stand having a mac cap on here, thats all fine and dandy, i rarely bad mouth mac here, but to go to the point where you dont want users defending pc's is kinda far IMO

oh and as far as havng an opinion or preference on which os you like, go for it, i prefer some of osx and some of xp, i dont care about that, what i care about is when someone says "i like osx (or xp), xp (or osx) sucks cause all it does is crash and cant multitask" is just stupid and really doesnt do anything for the "mac community" all it does is show the willingness by whomever to make ignorant statments.

old saying:

opinions are like assholes, every one has them and they all stink ;)

Let's face it... There are people who look at the Macintosh as an advanced kind of computer. To them, a Windows machine is something lower, whatever speed it's running at. The Macintosh is the perfect tool for them. They create their computer based work faster and with more fun on a Macintosh than they could on a Windows machine. But the Macintosh is even more to them. They identify themselves with the Mac to a certain extent. They might seem a little strange to some of you reading this, but they prefer a Titanium PowerBook G4 with 500-1000 MHz to a Dell Latitude with a 2.4 GHz Intel P4m processor running Windows XP anytime. It's not that they don't SEE the label with that number you show them. They also know that there are benchmarks showing that some or other software is clearly running faster on that machine. It's that they feel better after they have done their work. It's that the part of the work where the computer DOESN'T crunch numbers without user interaction, namely the USER INTERACTION, is faster for them on a Macintosh. They feel that the computer is working with them and for them, instead of the feeling they get when using a Windows machine: That they're working against the computer towards a certain goal.

I'm one of those crazy Macheads. I have a PC under my desk here, too, and it's a nice machine that works quite well (for a PC). It's running my web development environment on Red Hat 8.0. It has also got Windows 2000 on it for those times when I need to use some very important Windows software (basically that's Kazaa and the TV Tuner as well as IE6 to test websites).

Next year, the web development will move to my PowerBook - as soon as I can afford a new machine. I won't sell the PC (it's too old to make some real money, and PCs are dirt cheap anyway), but its main purpose will be webbrowsing and watching TV. And that wouldn't change if it had an Athlon 1800 XP processor. Or a Pentium 4 running at 2.4 GHz. Or at 3.06 GHz with Hyperthreading. See?

Back