Panther Features

wdw_

Rockee
I have some new OS X features i'd like to tell you fine folks about.

1. The mounting part of Disk Copy is integrated into the Finder. You double click a disk image and up pops what you would normally see in Disk Copy, but it's part of the Finder.

2. pressing CMND-tab no longer brings up the dock to let you go through apps; it now brings up this:
app_switching.jpg

3. The Scheduling feature is back in the Energy Saver Pref Pane.

If I find more I'll post them.

i'll post my thoughts in the coming days as well ;)

does it look to be working with programs thus far, or did you do a clean install on a seperate partition?

I just did an Upgrade from jaguar and all my applications are working so far. Even Norton AV 9 and personal Firewall 3. It takes some time to get used to expose but i think it's the best feature so far. the way it's implimented is very practical and easy to use. I'd just like to point out that it took me almost 2 hours for the upgrade on an emac 700 mhz.And im having some trouble with the fast switching option, I'm always getting the beach ball of death, But besides that i'm enjoyin' 10.3.

Holla

jason: I installed Panther on my external HD. Also everything seem to be working fin so far.

A cool thing about exposé is that it's not just a bunch of screen grabs lined up, it's the actual window shrunken. That means that you can see it doing stuff. Lets say you have a CD burning, or something rendering in the background and you want to do something else while it's doing that, you can just hit your exposé button and check in on it. It's really nice.

OOOOOH! I forgot to mention that you can add custom keystrokes to Panther. It's under the "Keyboard & Mouse" Pref Pane.;)

Cool, thanks for the updates. Do you see anything that would take advantage/use of a two-button mouse, should one come down the line?

well, Exposé can be activated by any button on the keyboard or mouse, so there's a use for a multi-button mouse.

Any changes to DOck organisation / options? And no mention about the rumored Location Manager?

I had a kernel panic this morning. I was listening to an audio book, when all the sudden it went quiet. I look up at the computer and it had the usual instructions to restart the computer, only the background was a semi-transparent black instead of white.

Also, Konfabulator doesn't seem to work on Panther.

Loaded Panther on TiPB 667 last night, clean install. Loaded most of my apps, here is what I found:

Photoshop 7 - Ok
GoLive 6 - Ok
InDesign 2.something - Ok
Reader 6 - Ok
MS Office v.x - OK

Macromedia Studio MX - All apps OK

MenuMeters - Not so Ok, won't save prefs...
Salling Clicker - Kind of quirky, not all scripts work as planned
Keynote - Gives me error to restart the app every time I launch
Konfabulator - Broken
PGP 8.02 - Mail.app integration broken
MailPriority - Broken

Mail.app - Love what they have done, but it is in a really dev state right now...as to be expected. when typing in compose/reply i get doubled text especially spaces and punctuiation. This is the killer for me to switch back

System Prefs - Still in dev state, most are OK, but some seem to hang and not completely draw the window...

Speed overall seems better, which is awesome for a dev build, carbon apps seem snappier, especially Office...

Love the new finder and UI look. Sad to go back, but little incompatabilities and the dev point of Mail are forcing me back to 10.2.6......

This question was sort of asked on another topic, but I didn't see any answers. Do the new Quartz Extreme features (like Expose) run at a decent speed on a video card like the 32 MB Radeon in the iBooks, or does it look like the specs for these new features will require more juice? My thinking is that if the new eye candy upped the minimum VRAM requirements a bunch, then they would have put 128 meg cards in the G5 towers.

Rat

Back