Panther Features

Have you noticed that there is an animation on the Classic-icon when classic starts? the color slowly rises. neat!

BTW. Classics starts _really fast_ in Panther and I like the menubar icon a lot (you can access the AppleMenu items!)

I have a no-nonsense question: Does the Finder natively have the ability to switch your multi-button mouse to "lefty" mode? I'm kinda ambidextrous, and like my mouse on the left.

Yeah I had a quick question. I've got a 400Mhz G3 iMac DV Slot-Loading. And I and currently running OS 10.1.5 with 320MB of RAM. That's good for now but I was wondering if I could run panther on a 400Mhz if I up-grade to 1GB of RAM? Cause I'll make the push for Panther. Thanks.

I know several people who runs Panther pre-release on a 400 mhz iMac DV. It is a lot quicker than earlier versions of MacOSX. I think they got around 384 mb of ram. but more is better.

While Panther does bring performance boosts in several areas, I've also noticed that it's a bit the same as with previous new operating system versions: Over time (a few days, actually, are enough), this drops off. You both start to ignore the fact that it's a bit faster (it's not THAT much, anyway) and it actually slows down a bit. You'd have to optimise over and over again to keep the initial speed of a Panther (and Jaguar) installation.

how about the start up time? It takes sooooo long for Jaguar to start up on my iMac 700Mhz G3!! Has it improved in some way?

how is it superior to the previous ProcessViewer? Well, aside from the occasional bogus process showing up in the list with garbage for a name and consuming 800+% of the CPU...

Originally posted by theed
how is it superior to the previous ProcessViewer? Well, aside from the occasional bogus process showing up in the list with garbage for a name and consuming 800+% of the CPU...

When you double-click a process it opens in a window and gives you all kinds of info on it, as well as a link to its parent process. It now has "Tab" buttons that give graphical representations of various system properties (CPU, System Memory, Disk Activity, Disk Usage and Network).

Some screenies (thanks to Jason):

Process info

CPU Tab

System Memory Tab

Disk Activity Tab

Disk Usage Tab

Network Tab

Sweeeeeet. Thanks. Indeed this is enough better that I might not need to use command line top much longer. At least not on my local machine anyway.

Panther IS in fact faster than Jaguar, there are some benchmarks floating around to confirm this but i'm too lazy to go find them now. One thing that Panther currently is PAINFULLY slow at, is fading effects. The new system preferences has a neat fading effect which slows it down really badly. Fortunately you can use the Jaguar System Preferences App (which has all the correct Preference panes but in the wrong places)
A neat note about Exposé as well, you can set any button on your mouse to do any of the three tasks, a cool way to utilize this is to hold the button down, then hover over the window you want then let go. This is much faster than pressing the button, going to the window and clicking on it as it requires less finger movement.

Back