Panther Features

For the new cmnd+tab feature ...

Does it show only the applications that are open or does it also include documents. You know when you minimize a doc and it goes to the far right hand cornor ... cmnd+tab doesn't scroll by those. That's probably one of the few--very few, like 2-3--M$ features I want in OS X.

Just wondering ... but maybe expose is a better answer to that ... is it?

Originally posted by macridah
For the new cmnd+tab feature ...

Does it show only the applications that are open or does it also include documents. You know when you minimize a doc and it goes to the far right hand cornor ... cmnd+tab doesn't scroll by those. That's probably one of the few--very few, like 2-3--M$ features I want in OS X.

Just wondering ... but maybe expose is a better answer to that ... is it?

What you're looking for is Full Keyboard Access in the Keyboard PreferencePane (in Jag and Panther). I believe the default config, if enabled is Control + F3 to control Dock. This allows you to Tab to all Dock items.

Noticed that Journaling is enabled by default in Panther. Also, Disk Utility has a Restore from Disk Image feature.

With my measly GeForce 4MX I don't get the cube transition when switching users at 1600x1200. Works OK at 1280x1024, though.

The journaling is probably used for the fast searching feature. It's probably a database and so it can find files really fast.
Either that, or the file location is put into a database each time it's moved on the disk to allow a fast location search.

journaling is all about fast recovery from crashes on large hard drives. It's a drive format feature, not a V-twin cron grep findByContentIndex type thing. Just to let you know.

I find it a critical feature on my production 850GB RAID array. Not that it crashes often.

I'm excited by the improved samba stuff they promise. Integrating mac OS X with SMB and Active Directory is my life right now. If you want to call it a life. ;-) Also loggin in according to Active Directory information and mounting an SMB share as a home directory (if it works like they seem to be hinting to) make me excited enough to hump Steve Jobs's left leg.

Hopefully the AppleFileSharing service is way faster, way more stable, way more scalable, and more security and interoperability oriented than it is in 10.2.x - Any word on Apple File Sharing anyone? Any hints to it being completely redone like the Finder?

I know what Journaling is meant for. It contains the state of the disk in the event of a crash. It keeps track of where files are so that things can be fixed. All I'm saying is maybe they are using it since it is already keeping track of the file locations.

I just installed Panther on my second drive and WOW!!!!

I can't believe how fast this is!!!!! :D
It probably has a bit to do with that it's a clean install, but I don't remember a clean install of Jaguar ever being this fast!:eek:

I have a problem starting MS Word and Entourage starting up, but the other 2 Office apps work.

Entourage: An IO Error has occured:confused:
Word: An unexpected error occured while trying to load the Microsoft Framework X Library.:mad:

I have to try and fix that somehow. Might need to just install it on this second disk instead of having aliases to the one on my main disk.

Seems there were some files that needed to be installed somewhere on the disk. I installed it on my second HD, made aliases on the second HD to point to my MS user data on the main drive and then deleted the copy on my second drive.
Then made aliases to the apps on the main drive, and I can run it from the main drive.

Well, compared to Jaguar on my machine, it's much faster. I don't know how much you'd notice on a newer machine, but you'd probably notice somethings being faster.

Cool feature in Panther:

Classic Status in Menu Bar.

(Forgive me if this is a repeat)

Attachments

• classic.pdf
    76.2 KB · Views: 78
When you change the voulume of movies playing in column-view it now remembers that setting. That is a feature i have missed.

Back