Panther, Mac OS X 10.3 Discussions (merged)

Hey guys. I actually got my 10.2 upgrade for
20 bucks!!! Directly brand new from apple. It was a special offer. If you had gotten 10.1 after a certain date, it only cost 20 dollars! It was a limited time offer. I got a tip on it just in time.
Maybe apple will do the same for 10.3 ; )

Revamp

Originally posted by fryke
I'm not sure what you mean, but Mail and iChat are integrated with Address Book, no?

I was thinking that in W, NetMeeting is more or less integrated with a chat, and MSN also tries to integrate with Explorer, but only in some cases (when you start from MSN), therefore there is some integartion, but really on a case by case basis.

Apple can (must) do better, and also propose a video meeting system (for fun and for professional usage). But this one would be really integrated in the Address, iChat, Mail "system".

Let's assume that iChat 2 will have video conferencing support. In Mail, you can set that you see the iChat online status. And there already _is_ Address Book integration. Everything you have in Address Book is available in Mail and iChat. Not all contacts with AIM info are added to your iChat list, but I think that's a GOOD thing. :p

But: If you have them listed in iChat (2), you would see their online status in Mail and could ctrl-click on the contact and select 'video conference' or 'video chat'. Easy, no?

I don't think Apple will have ANY plans to make it more difficult for the end user...

Yes, and I appreciate Address - Mail - iChat integration, as well as iSync (i now have my Address book on my Zire, and my Calendar nearly uptodate).

"CUPERTINO, California--March 21, 2003--Apple® today announced that it has rescheduled its 2003 Worldwide Developers Conference in order to provide developers with a more complete preview release of the next version of Mac® OS X, code named Panther. Originally scheduled for May 19-23 in San Jose, the conference will now be held June 23-27 at San Francisco's Moscone Center"

Originally posted by senne
that's 1 month later!!! :( :(

True, but that means you'll be able to see a far more complete and smoother-running Panther. The extra time should be enough for them to sand down the rough edges.:)

First it was OSX that made so many devices unuseable, then Jaguar vaporized the functionality, again, of many peripherals that had been expensively restored, like scanners, printers, and many other utility devices. I'd hate to see Panther do the same thing all over again.

I'd hope they'd have hammered out most of the final architectures for scanning, printing, etc. for 10.2 so they can include it in 10.3. Remember, 10.1 was still practically a beta.

I can't wait... Wonder when it gets released to the public? If its too long after wwdc bootlegs of it will be all over the internet. I think it will be right after the conference gets done, mabye a week for apple to hammer everything out of it. Yes!

What does the rumor mill think will make Panther an enhanced OSX? I have no kicks with 10.2.4; I have more complaints with the hardware, like not enough audio support.

I can't wait... Wonder when it gets released to the public? If its too long after wwdc bootlegs of it will be all over the internet. I think it will be right after the conference gets done, mabye a week for apple to hammer everything out of it. Yes!

looprumors.com made some predictions the other day, they say all metal finder (gasp) and a few other things.

According to my sources, which I can't detail here for certain reasons, they are expecting a developer's release date in August.

I doubt we'll have driver problems with this update, as we did with the 10.2 update. 10.2 represented a serious change to the way the system handled some devices, particularly printers.

Rock on, Apple.

Originally posted by symphonix
According to my sources, which I can't detail here for certain reasons, they are expecting a developer's release date in August.

I doubt we'll have driver problems with this update, as we did with the 10.2 update. 10.2 represented a serious change to the way the system handled some devices, particularly printers.

Rock on, Apple.

They certainly didn't do enough though. There are some sort of limitations in Mac OSX that won't let certain commands get sent to the printer. I have an Epson 2200 and I cant use half the features of the printer because of OSX not being able to send the right commands. It isn't a driver problem, it is a OSX problem. It works in OS9, but Epson claims there are limitations in OSX which wont let it work. Dammit.

WE WANT SCREEN SHOTS !

Will we have a black hairy X ? Or crossed teeth ?

Will the interface change ? Top left Apple logo going from blue to black ?

What about a hairy Apple logo ?

Back