Panther, Mac OS X 10.3 Discussions (merged)

From Apple.com:
CUPERTINO, California—March 21, 2003—Apple® today announced that it has rescheduled its 2003 Worldwide Developers Conference in order to provide developers with a more complete preview release of the next version of Mac® OS X, code named “Panther.” Originally scheduled for May 19-23 in San Jose, the conference will now be held June 23-27 at San Francisco’s Moscone Center.

Maybe Panther will have new buttons, like the one atached below... ;)

(It looks a bit like WinXP start button, but is actually from Apple's site)

Attachments

• buttoncontinue.gif
    buttoncontinue.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 163
Originally posted by Androo
huh?! 10.4?
o that's an error.
I used to use os 9 from time to time, since my classic wouldn't work. Now i never use it at all, except on my crappy powerbook G3, which is actually one of the first PBG3 model made.
Whoops, there was an error...

Originally posted by Sirtovin
hehe windows users had to do that sorta.

Somewhat, yes. The windows releases are a little less frequent, and if you already own a previous version you only have to pay 99 instead of the 199...

Apple should have the same Upgrade and Full Install versions...

If you already bought 10.1 or 10.2 or whatever...you should get 10.3 at a discounted price...

Originally posted by Aeronyth
Somewhat, yes. The windows releases are a little less frequent, and if you already own a previous version you only have to pay 99 instead of the 199...

Apple should have the same Upgrade and Full Install versions...

If you already bought 10.1 or 10.2 or whatever...you should get 10.3 at a discounted price...

Well the fact is there were... ways to rig the upgrade for Windows to make it install like a Full version... A fresh version... but none the less it was a pain in the butt.

When i upgraded to XP i had it reformat and install clean.

And i had purchased the upgrade...you just had to put in the 98 cd during the installation..

true... but i know other ways to install XP without the 98CD etc... but we can't discuss this here etc... due to policies... etc.

Look at Apples main page for the release of Panther. It says that Apple will reveale it at the WWDC in June. Doesn't say when it will be publicaly available. But I'm sure if they release it at the WWDC in June it will be out the next month.

Originally posted by snuflupukis
But I'm sure if they release it at the WWDC in June it will be out the next month.
I doubt it. Giving it out to developers and then releasing it to the public a month later would seem to give the devs very little time to do anything with it. Just as with Jaguar I fully expect to see Panther sometime between the end of August and the end of September.

Optional Metal look to entire GUI
No 64 bit support yet (Even though it should)
Performance enhanced throughout every part of system (like 10.1, 10.2)
Better iApps and maybe a Office suite. (I think the whole iNaming scheme is really stupid though)
Somewhat more customizable but no support for themes...

That's about it

<shudder>

It would be nice to have some more customization options, though I have to admit that even after several years, I'm still not sick of Aqua and its "lickable" widgets =)

Not sure what I don't like about the metal theme, I think it feels cheap and cartoony to me - (whereas Aqua is supposed to look a bit cartoony =). In fact, I'd love the way iTunes looks if the darn textured background felt a bit more photorealistic.

I hope Apple doesn't continue with the "build apps that compete with our major software partners" campaign. Unless they have something else up their sleeves AND the 970 consistantly blows Intel's and AMD's latest offerings away, completely alienating the major vendors that help keep the platform afloat is not such a great idea at this point (Microsoft, Adobe, etc)...

Rip

Originally posted by whitesaint
I think this would be good if it meant you could turn it off anytime as well as on.
No 64 bit support yet (Even though it should)
Do you guys think it should support 64 bit (i.e. be compatible) or run off 64 bit (i.e. only)?
Performance enhanced throughout every part of system (like 10.1, 10.2)
This almost goes without saying. :)
Better iApps...
For some, definitely. More, better features.
...and maybe a Office suite.
I think it's called Appleworks... and it's $99 (unless they changed it)... and you can get it whenever you buy a system (hardware or software variety)...
Somewhat more customizable but no support for themes...
Nobody really knows on this front. Apple has become so anal about customizing OS X that it's anybody's guess.

If anyone wants to suggest changes that it should include, check out the thread in my signature.

Originally posted by Ripcord
<shudder>

It would be nice to have some more customization options, though I have to admit that even after several years, I'm still not sick of Aqua and its "lickable" widgets =)

Not sure what I don't like about the metal theme, I think it feels cheap and cartoony to me - (whereas Aqua is supposed to look a bit cartoony =). In fact, I'd love the way iTunes looks if the darn textured background felt a bit more photorealistic.

I hope Apple doesn't continue with the "build apps that compete with our major software partners" campaign. Unless they have something else up their sleeves AND the 970 consistantly blows Intel's and AMD's latest offerings away, completely alienating the major vendors that help keep the platform afloat is not such a great idea at this point (Microsoft, Adobe, etc)...

Rip

I completely agree I love Aqua and I hate the brushed metal unless they can make it look better or cooler in a different form. I hope they do at least make it more photorealistic. I agree also with the competing with major software part... I really hope Apple is able to usethe 970 and if they are I want them to use it :rolleyes:

Yes. The price for Mac OS X 10.3 will, according to sources, be 249 USD per license. Apple has apparently learned from the Microsoft case that Microsoft is _not_ charging too much for their operating system, and thus Apple can - without looking back - raise the price for the license to 249 USD.

About the date, that really depends on two things. 1, on whether anyone really knows and 2, on whether you're an April's fool.

Originally posted by fryke
Yes. The price for Mac OS X 10.3 will, according to sources, be 249 USD per license. Apple has apparently learned from the Microsoft case that Microsoft is _not_ charging too much for their operating system, and thus Apple can - without looking back - raise the price for the license to 249 USD.

About the date, that really depends on two things. 1, on whether anyone really knows and 2, on whether you're an April's fool.

Fryke!!!! You almost gave me a heart attack till I read the fine print of April fools... 10.3 better be $129 not no 249 USD... I'd go nutzo... :)

Hehehe

Back