Panther to be released Oct 24 ! Official

Oct 24 is the release date for Panther ... oh yeah!!!

$129 upgrade cost for 10.2 users

G5 owners, or people who buy macs on or after oct 8, will receive panther for FREE ... just pay for shipping and handling (19.95)

goto http://www.apple.com for the countdown

The standard Mac OS Up-To-Date upgrade package is available to all customers who purchase a new Mac system on or after October 8; all customers who purchased a Power Mac G5 regardless of purchase date that do not have Panther included; and customers who purchase the Mac OS X version 10.2 "Jaguar" retail product on or after October 8 for a shipping and handling fee of $19.95

That is sweet that they are honoring all G5 buyers. I bought one but before Oct 8 so I'm pumped to be able to save $110.

Yeeeeha! This is the announcement I've been waiting for... two weeks late for my b-day, but hey, family lives out of state so most gift will be late... this is the one I'm looking forward to, though!

Apple Store says you can order now for PM delivery on the 24th, however they still offer three shipping options (FedEx one day, two day or standard three to five). I chose three to five for free, plus an educational discount, for a grand total of $74.43 -- chump change compared to what Microsoft charges for their OSs!

I'm wondering if, even though I chose the dinky shipping option, it will still be delivered on the 24th... anyone know? Will it ship on the 24th or arrive on the 24th? The wording on the Apple Store leads me to believe that delivery will occur on the 24th, not shipping... under the "Est. Ship" category on my order, it says "PM Delivery 10/24," so that's what I'm taking it to mean!

Once again, WOOOHOOO!

38 today and Mr Job's present is to launch Panther for availability on Oct 24! Thanks.

But rather than buy it when it comes out, I'm going to wait for the next eMac refresh and put the £100 cost towards a machine to upgrade from my 350MHz G3 iMac.

I wonder how many others will use the OS X upgrade cost as a way of 'saving' money by getting a new machine...?

Regards
FatMark

It's interesting that Apple seems to be calling it simply "Mac OS X Panther", without the 10.3. If they continue with this line, it will allow them to use the "X" indefinitely. They'll eventually run out of big cats, though :D

Originally posted by bobw
Ordered :)

Bob,

Me, too. They say it should arrive the evening of the 24th. The Apple Stores will be having a launch from 8:00 PM to Midnight that night.

Regards,
Marc

ordered mine too. maybe they'll ship it early, like they did for some people with 10.2

in any event - i can't wait to see all of the new features and speed increases on my TiBook

My birthday is 23rd Oct (hint hint)... hope it comes a day early!!! :)

Is it me, or is everyone's birthday in this thread, in October?!

so who is creating the little app to put the countdown on my desktop or in my menu bar?

You can do that yourself. Right Click or Control Click on the Time count down and save as a Quicktime mov to your desktop.

this might be a no brainer question. so does that mean any machine after should have panther installed?

now i want a powerbook 15.2" for christmas! :)

Any machine sold after the release of Panther should have it installed, or get it for free.

Back