PB Critics tear Apple apart

he seems more concerned with the reaction the audience were giving more than the actual products. i think he is trolling....ignore him

i think he makes good ponints
and its funny the way he describes the peoples reactions to everything:D

i think whoever did this review is just jealous. sure - he can go get himself a vaio. pardon us if we like our computers sleek and reliable.

Originally posted by drustar
i think whoever did this review is just jealous. sure - he can go get himself a vaio. pardon us if we like our computers sleek and reliable.

I don't know about the reliable, I couldn't get the keynote to work on my pb and ended up watching it on my pc.

But anyway, that guy is just trying to justify carrying around 5 more lbs and MUCH shorter battery life.

vaio is not a mac.

it's not running OS X.

it's not 17".

you cant burn dvds.

antd type in dark.

and it weight more.

the writer can go and vaio himself.

This clown probably needs to but a make. He seems, like many out there, to be a staunch skeptic. Probably voted for Dubya. He's probably bitter becasue he really had nothing to complain about. The 'similarly config's Viao' weight about 3000 pounds and only have a 16" screen and it is not wide-aspect.

He needs to stop his whining.

Originally posted by leadfootedfool
But anyway, that guy is just trying to justify carrying around 5 more lbs and MUCH shorter battery life.

Much shorter battery life? in comparison to which product? the sony vaio? or the 15inch powerbook.. because the 17inch powerbook has max 4.5 hours of battery life. and the 15inch has 5 hours max. :) does that seem like MUCH shorter battery life.? especially for a powerbook with 17inch display ?

OH.. and if anyone buys a 17inch laptop. i DONT think hed care that much about its weight. 6.8 pounds is quit light for such a notebook... when buyin this powerbook i think its SIZE is what would matter the most. and if u dont have a problem with its size. i think its weight is the LAsT thing that ull think about:)

Originally posted by stealth
Much shorter battery life? in comparison to which product? the sony vaio? or the 15inch powerbook.. because the 17inch powerbook has max 4.5 hours of battery life. and the 15inch has 5 hours max. :) does that seem like MUCH shorter battery life.? especially for a powerbook with 17inch display ?

OH.. and if anyone buys a 17inch laptop. i DONT think hed care that much about its weight. 6.8 pounds is quit light for such a notebook... when buyin this powerbook i think its SIZE is what would matter the most. and if u dont have a problem with its size. i think its weight is the LAsT thing that ull think about:)

I was talking about the sony. 6.8 lbs and 4.5 is awesome for the 17incher.

6.8 pounds is about what my old PowerBook 520c weighed. And I was quite happy to have the little beast, as it allowed me to play (and lose) Marathon I against a friend with a 540c (he won only, because my display was passive, though)... :p

But really, the PowerBook 17" is not 'your average PowerBook'. It's really a desktop you can actually move. I wouldn't want this as my writing tool, I think the Ti already is a bit too big (and wish they would turn the 12" into a widescreen 13" model with 1152*768 - that would be my next PowerBook...).

I know what I'm saving money for now, at least. I'll either buy a maxxed out 12" iBook or the 12" PowerBook next. But then again, I guess I'll only have that money ready by the next upgrade round in Summer...

I'm sorry guys, but I have to agree wholeheartedly with this statement:

Technically, it was fabulous--and completely impractical. Microsoft's PowerPoint exists for one reason: Sales representatives use it to lull their audiences into an agreeable mood before asking for money. "Your company is fabulous, but I can't stand that little man holding the stopwatch and scratching his head. We're going to go with the vendor with that Egyptian papyrus theme," is a statement that will never come out of a corporate buyer's mouth.

Business is "mission critical"--time is money. As long as people get the "gist" of it, there's no need for this fancy BS. I think Keynote was a waste of Apple's time. A real visionary would be busy making a GUI for mySQL. Duh.

:)

I also agree with this statement:

Microsoft and Intel understand this completely. Standards exist in the industry not because of a secret, evil conspiracy. They exist because, in many circumstances, conformity is more important than perfection. That's why the two companies, and the rest of the PC market, spend more time talking about price and availability than anything else. No one will ever "woo-hoo" a speech by Intel CEO Craig Barrett, but his company provides the chips in most of the world's computers.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Steve Jobs, not Apple, is style before substance. The day Linux gets a consumer desktop worthy of download, that's it for Apple. That's the way I see it, anyway. No flaming me. I'm nice.

PS.. oh yeah, I'm not putting down Apple, I'm just saying that things have to change around there and it's not going to happen with the man. Maybe one day you guys will trust me on this one. Until then, everybody into the pool.

PPS... oh yeah yeah... I'm not saying I'm a fan of status quo or mediocrity, because I'm not... but I don't need my computer to be "fancy" anymore...

Originally posted by MacLuv
I'm sorry guys, but I have to agree wholeheartedly with this statement:

Technically, it was fabulous--and completely impractical. Microsoft's PowerPoint exists for one reason: Sales representatives use it to lull their audiences into an agreeable mood before asking for money. "Your company is fabulous, but I can't stand that little man holding the stopwatch and scratching his head. We're going to go with the vendor with that Egyptian papyrus theme," is a statement that will never come out of a corporate buyer's mouth.

Business is "mission critical"--time is money. As long as people get the "gist" of it, there's no need for this fancy BS. I think Keynote was a waste of Apple's time. A real visionary would be busy making a GUI for mySQL. Duh.

WOW.. I TOTALLY disagree...

The more power you have in your presentation, the more weight that it will have... it is just that simple..

Take a look at marketing.. you can take a product that no one really wants, and isn't all that great, but wrap it in a GREAT marketing plan ( flash and polish ) and you can sell it....

so how much more if you have a great product? ( or presentation?? )

and the same goes when you want to present idea's, reports or whatever... the more visual attractive something is, the more someone will ACTUALLY look at it.. the more they look at it, the more they think about it and the more they think about it, the more they will REMEMBER it...

I think keynote looks like a great app.. kudos to apple for constantly raising the bar.

Originally posted by cclear
WOW.. I TOTALLY disagree...

The more power you have in your presentation, the more weight that it will have... it is just that simple..

With all due respect, when you give a presentation to people, you don't wow them with a dog and pony show. It's that simple. People see presentations all f*cking day long. They want the bottom line as quickly as possible so they can call it a day and go home. Keynote may impress the gals at the local tennis club or your mother, but that's about as far as it goes.

Look at it like this: anywhere a creative edge is needed to push a presentation, one doesn't use custom-developed software to deliver it. That would just show lack of ingenuity on one's part.

A presentation just needs to look presentable, that's about it. The bells and whistles in PowerPoint are never used--they're just there to sell the software. I have seen plenty of "prensentation" only startups that have learned this the hard way.

:) Regards

im not a huge fan of the 17in pb as a laptop... i see it as a desktop portable... but not a laptop, its too big IMHO, i own a 12inch ibook, and this is just plain perfect size for a laptop, and i can set it on my desk and hook everything up and its basically a desktop...

17 is a little too much, but it has its purpose as a power machine on the go (mine personally stays on my desk in the form of a power mac)

12 is a little odd to me, its a g4 ibook... why? anyone who needs that much power... i think... would want a bigger screen etc and would probably go for the 15 pb... at least i would if i wanted a g4 laptop... the 12 will most likely either do really bad, or really well and take away from ibook sales... maybe apple is getting rid of ibooks? i dont know... it just doesnt make much sense to me to have a 12 inch power book, 13 would be good like fryke said... maybe even 14 so that the top ibook and bottom powerbook kinda over lap a little...

keynote? pointless... id rather use a flash presentation then either keynote or power point, but thats me ;)

safari... great effort IMO, althtough odd they based it on KDE's khtml

um and the other stuff? doesnt pertain to me ;)

Originally posted by cclear
Take a look at marketing.. you can take a product that no one really wants, and isn't all that great, but wrap it in a GREAT marketing plan ( flash and polish ) and you can sell it....

Wait, are we discussing keynote or Apple Comptuer in general?

:D

By contrast, Apple inspires rave reviews. And accounts for only 2.3 percent of the worldwide computer market, according to research firm IDC.

Wow, this number get's lower every time I see it. I'm also seeing that Linux is about to become the #2 desktop OS, taking Apple's spot. For me, I like the smaller powerbook. If I were in the market and I was a normal person, that's what I'd get. But for me, an OS that doesn't run Java 1.4 won't get my money.

Vanguard

ok, i will bite.. :)

1st of all.. it does depend on what TYPE of presentation your giving.. If your just doing marketing reports or some simple statistical show, or you just need to illustate a point to the people within the company then no.. you don't need a bunch of flash.. and for that fact, you only need graphic's when called for to illustate or accentuate a point.. to help visually carry what you need to get across...

But when you want to sell something, be it a idea or product, the more powerful your presentation is, the more weight you can give whatever your selling.. and that is fact.. you can disagree all you want, but in the end, the guy that puts more time and effort into his presentation will win... and keynote is only ONE more thing to help you give either a good presentation or help you give a great one...

and yea, if all you have is flash, and your product is a lemon, your not going to get very far..

But if you take a good product - or - idea, and you have 2 different presentations.. the better presentation will go over much better..

presentations is more than graphics -- for sure.. it is ALL about HOW you communicate what you need to communicate..

BUT anything that can help you communicate better -- anything that gives you that extra 5-10% more -- will help..

and if you got a great idea, great speech, and great graphics, you will have a great presentation.

"The guy with the better presentation will win.. "

Back