PC vs. Mac

Which is the Oldest Mac you would pick over a top of the line PC?

• Everything PCs Rule!!

• Some Future Mac (G5+)

• G4

• G3

• Powermac

• Performa

• Quadra

• Nothing, I would never by a PC

Results are only viewable after voting.

divibisan

Official *********
What is the oldest Mac you would be willing to take over a top of the line 2.2 Ghz P4 with Windows XP

Like SimX said, this may not be a good topic to start. But...

If my old Performa 631CD (my first "own" mac) had an ethernet port I'd rather use that running 7.5.1 than a 100 GHz Pentium 6 with Super SDRAM DDR Magic Go fast Ram running Windows XP 2000SE Edition Me.

Hey, at its prime, my Quadra 660AV kicked butt!!! Running OS 7.5 when it first came out, I was styling! That was a sweet little machine.

HEHE!

-B

a dual ghz mac could take on a p2 2.2 ghz, but i still hate it's price tag... with passion, sometmes it doesnt even seem like the extra power is really worth the price, although when your pc starts crashing and your hardware burning and your cd-rom drive shacking like a fridge at 40x speed, i sort of admire the elegance of a mac.

I don't know. I just made the mac switch, and I'm pretty sure that if I had gone with a PC it would have cost the same or similar...

I don't know. It really comes down to price. If apple ever did *really* fall behind as far as clock speeds were concerned...

I found a Centris 660AV this weekend with 8 megs of RAM and a 250 MB hdd running MacOS 7.1. I also found a Macintosh 512k and a Dual-floppy SE. All for free, and all work just as well as they did when they were first sold.

The Centris is is plenty fast for its age, and I've now no doubt it would beat a PC of its vintage in many ways. So I guess I'll pick the quadra because the centris 660AV was one of the first quadras.

First, the title of this poll doesn't make a ton of sense... it essentially reads "Mac vs. Mac," since the Macintosh is, itself, a PC. "Windows vs. Mac," would be a bit better, but that's saying "An operating system vs. a piece of hardware." Correcting that, we get, "Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP vs. OS 9/OS X.". However, we are talking hardware here, so the MOST, MOST correct title should be something along the lines of, "Windows-based Intel/AMD Machine vs. Mac."

Just being anal. :rolleyes:

I voted PowerMac. I loved my old 7600/132. There's no way in hell I'd take a Quadra or a Centris over a souped-up Windows-based Intel/AMD machine. That's silly. I'd take the Intel/AMD machine and sell it and buy a G4. Sheesh.

a worthwhile poll would be nice. gee, while we're at it let's debate whether or not kirk could defeat picard

Kirk kicks Picard's ass any day of the week.

I voted PowerMac, because anything before that just, well... *ahem*, No.

I like all Macs but a 2.2 GHz versus a non-PPC Mac? No. :)

Kirk kicks Picard's ass though.

I still own a Performa 6200CD. It was really sweet when I bought it, but it's so slooowww! I don't just mean that it is slow now. I mean it began being really slow just some months after I bought it, when MacOS 8 came out. That and MacOS X is why I chose "G3" on the poll. I mean... get real... who will ever want to use any flavor of classic MacOS after fiddling around with such a powerfull OS as MacOS X? And the G3 is officially the minimum you will need to run OSX. :D

So, basically, I would chose any mac capable of running MacOS X over any 1000GHz PC running windows or whatever!! :p

Good point. The more I think about it, the more I realize that the main reason I use a Mac now is to use OS X (and, failing that, OS 9) but I really can't stand anything below OS 9...

I'm voting for G3, so take one vote off of PowerMac for me :p

I forgot to mention on my previous post... I now own an iBook 500MHz, 640MB RAM, DVD, 10GB HD, and the only thing I would trade it for would either be for an iBook 600 12" or a PowerBook G4 Ti. :D

You should do that, it'd be funny. Or maybe replace an NT box with an old-style iMac that runs OS X, so it can use WinNT networking protocols.. now THAT would be pretty funny...

"Gee, Bob, why do you suppose the network's so fast now?"
"They got a Mac in here and it runs Windows or something like that."
"Oh. OK."

I voted never a PC. I've inherited one, but I'd never buy one. I'm just not interested in supporting Microsoft unless it's Mac software. If I need Windows, Virtual PC does the trick. I suppose MS still gets royalties or whatever, but I still consider VPC to be a plus for Mac.

Back