Please Help with Grab Application

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
I'm going NUTS. Grab seems like a pretty straightforward, easy-to-use application. And I've already figured out how to capture screen shots and save them. However, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to paste the screen shots into another window. For example, the other day I was browsing a forum and saw that someone had posted into their post right above the text a screen shot image--NOT an attached photo or file but an actual screen shot that was posted into the body of their message. How can I do this with Grab?...

(I'm running Mac OS X Panther 10.3.9.)

Thanks for any help. I hope SOMEone can help me here! I've read all sorts of Grab instructions, help, tutorials, and they all tell me what I already know! NONE of them mention anything about pasting the image into another window as a screen shot--NOT as an attached file.

I don't think you can copy-and-paste a screenshot directly into a window in your web browser -- I think what that person must have done is uploaded the picture to their own webserver, then linked to that image from here...

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I don't think you can copy-and-paste a screenshot directly into a window in your web browser -- I think what that person must have done is uploaded the picture to their own webserver, then linked to that image from here...

Actually, it was just an image of one of their private message windows from another forum--nothing that was uploaded to a pesonal Web page. Any idea how they did that?

Probably wasn't Grab. You can so shift-option-3 for a desktop picture. Shift-option-4 and you can select a portion of a window to take a screenshot of (by dragging), or shift-option-4 then the space bar where you get a camera icon to take a screenshot of a particular window open and only that window.

example.jpg

Actually, it was just an image of one of their private message windows from another forum--nothing that was uploaded to a pesonal Web page. Any idea how they did that?

But it WAS uploaded, either to the persons own personal web space and linked to, or uploaded to the forum to be displayed.

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    19.1 KB · Views: 3
Randman said:

OK, see--that right there! That little screen shot image that you just posted! How did you DO that?!?!?! And why did it now show up when I quoted you here--it just shows up as:
example.jpg

I already know how to use Grab to take screen shots and save them to my desktop (or wherever), etc. But my question is: How do I PASTE the screen shots into another window, like you did above?

Oh, man! It DID show up as an image! LOL OK, 'cause when I was replying, there was no image, just a string of characters.

I'm still not sure how you did that. Must I have a personal Web page and upload the screen shot before I can post the image in another window? Or can I just use Grab and save the image to my desktop and then image icon into the window? I don't think that will work...

You don't paste the screenshots here. You either upload them to MacOSX.com as attachments/thumbnails, or you host the images on your own server and link to them.

You cannot copy and paste an image into a window here.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You don't paste the screenshots here. You either upload them to MacOSX.com as attachments/thumbnails, or you host the images on your own server and link to them.

You cannot copy and paste an image into a window here.

I'm not interested in posting screen shots *here*. I'm just asking, in general. How do you do it with Grab?

Here's what I know so far:
1. Open Grab
2. Click Capture
3. Click on Window, Selection or Screen, etc.
4. Click on whatever it is that you want to take a picture of
5. Save As

OK, now what? I mean, how do you PASTE the image into another window when you've completed the steps above? I'm sorry if my question is confusing, I don't know how else to ask it. LOL

You gotta put the full path and filename between the tags, like:
[code]http://www.myserver.com/path/to/someimage.jpg[/code]

Amie said:
I'm not interested in posting screen shots *here*. I'm just asking, in general. How do you do it with Grab?

Here's what I know so far:
1. Open Grab
2. Click Capture
3. Click on Window, Selection or Screen, etc.
4. Click on whatever it is that you want to take a picture of
5. Save As

OK, now what? I mean, how do you PASTE the image into another window when you've completed the steps above? I'm sorry if my question is confusing, I don't know how else to ask it. LOL

Paste where? You need to be specific: pasting an image into a browser window, like Safari, won't work... but pasting the image into a PhotoShop window will most likely work.

All windows are not the same, and there's a different procedure to getting images to show up depending on what application the window belongs to. To post an image in a forum like this, you usually use the

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You gotta put the full path and filename between the tags, like:
[code]http://www.myserver.com/path/to/someimage.jpg[/code][/QUOTE]

But I don't *have* a personal Web page. I usually just save the Grab images to my desktop. So do I just put: [img]desktop.grabimagetest.jpg[img]?

I seriously doubt that's the way to do it, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Can you please tell me how to post screen shots that are saved to my desktop. Please?
:D

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Paste where? You need to be specific: pasting an image into a browser window, like Safari, won't work... but pasting the image into a PhotoShop window will most likely work.

All windows are not the same, and there's a different procedure to getting images to show up depending on what application the window belongs to. To post an image in a forum like this, you usually use the tags and link to the picture on your server (but it's not the same for all forums).[/QUOTE]

And by "your server" do you mean my personal Web page? I don't HAVE one! Oh, man ... my question is confusing people, I see! Or maybe I'M the one who's confused. LOL

I've seen all sorts of screen shots pasted on various sites (e.g., Mac support sites, forums of various topics--gardening, computers, pets, bodybuilding, etc., whatever!). And the screen shot image is just posted RIGHT in there, in the forum! Like for example, if someone is having problems with their Console log, they say, "Hey, here's what my console log looks like. Can anyone decipher these messages?" And they post an image of their Console log right in the forum!

Aime, Aime, Aime

What are we going to do with you :)

When you make a post and want to attach something, under where you type your post, under the Smilies and under the Submit button, scroll down and you'll see a button 'Manage Attachments'. Click that, another window will open and you can upload your ScreenShot using the Browse button to browse the files on your machine.

You might want to check your ISP's home site, most give you space on their servers to upload/store things.

And, you don't have to use the Grab app to take a screenshot as was mentioned earlier in this thread.

Command-Shift-3 for the whole screen

or

Command-Shift-4 gives you a crosshair to drag to select the portion to snap. It's saved to your Desktop automatically.

my question is confusing people, I see! Or maybe I'M the one who's confused. LOL

The latter me thinks :)

And by "your server" do you mean my personal Web page? I don't HAVE one

Are you sure? Check with your ISP as I mentioned in the last post.

"Hey, here's what my console log looks like. Can anyone decipher these messages?" And they post an image of their Console log right in the forum!

That's different, the log posted isn't a screen shot. It's copied text. You can open your Console and copy any text, then paste it in a web form such as a post here.

Don't make us take your Mac away from you :)

bobw said:
The latter me thinks :)

Me thinks so, too! LOL

bobw said:
Are you sure? Check with your ISP as I mentioned in the last post.

No, I'm not sure. :eek:

bobw said:
That's different, the log posted isn't a screen shot. It's copied text. You can open your Console and copy any text, then paste it in a web form such as a post here.

Noooooo, it's a screen shot. I KNOW how to copy and paste text--give me SOME credit! LOL :p No, no ... this is an actual screen shot image of the ENTIRE Console log window.

bobw said:
Don't make us take your Mac away from you :)

YOU ... *points finger and gives you the evil eye* ... stay away from my sweet Mac.

Sorry for my pain-in-the-butt questions, but hey, I'm learning! :p

Back