Please save me from throwing my mac out

toonassasin

Registered
Hi Guys,

Mac Newbie here so first off hello to one and all...... HELP

I have a Power book G4 OSX 9 and it was brill no probs. after a while I noticed that it began to run a bit slow (the rainbow circle thing keep on coming up) and it seemed to crash.

So I ran out and bought a hard drive fearing the worse, switched it off and now it will not come on.

It now loads up to 'windows' bit and freezes there !!

So all my new material (I'm a song struggling writer/producer) is on it which was not backed up and at long ....and I do mean long last I have a record company that wants the tracks !!!

Can anyone please help me, I dont have the install disks, I no nothing about the tec side of macs and I'm all out of ideas and desperate.

Please if anyone can help I would truly be grateful.

it just keeps on saying you know, in the screen where it has the gray apple with Mac OSX and under it say "login windows starting" with the blue line that show it loading (i think) and thats all that happens !!! it just stays like that

First things first: get yourself some Mac OS X Install CDs/DVDs. A computer is worthless (or will soon become) without those, much like a car is useless without keys. Right now you have a locked car and no keys in your possession.

The install disks contain vital utilities to keeping your system running in tip-top shape. When you do acquire the disks (NOT making an attempt to acquire them would be extremely... ummm... not smart?), boot from the disks by holding down the 'c' key as the system starts (with the install CD/DVD in the drive, of course) and run "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" or "Utilities" menu. Then, once in Disk Utility, select your hard drive in the left-hand sidebar and click the "Repair Disk" button. *Note any errors that the process reports.

In the interim, until you acquire those disks (which should be within days of reading this), you can check a few things:

1) How much space is left on your drive?
2) Is your system up-to-date? (What exact version of Mac OS X are you running?)
3) Have you installed any "system hacks" like Unsanity's APE or have you run any "system performance" utilities?
4) How much RAM does the machine have?

'Please save me from throwing my mac out' - The subject title is ridiculous. And, if you did (throw out the Mac), you would still not have the data you seek.

'I have a Power book G4 OSX 9' - there is no such Macintosh model. Perhaps, you have a PowerBook (there were only 17 model versions) with MacOS X (version unknown) and System 9 (version unknown) installed? If so, what version of MacOS X is installed, and what version of System 9 is installed?

'and it was brill no probs.' - ?

'... after a while I noticed that it began to run a bit slow' - too vague.

'(the rainbow circle thing keep on coming up)' - it appears you where booted into MacOS X (version ?), and experienced the 'Spinning ball from hell' (or Steve Jobs).

'It now loads up to 'windows' bit and freezes there !!' - translation, the Mac does not completely boot to the 'Desktop'.

'I dont have the install disks' - if you can 'run out' and purchase an external hard disk drive, ehdd, you can also purchase (or obtain, by any means) a retail copy of the installed MacOS X (and System 9). Such is simply a basic responsibility of any computer owner - having the ability to install / re-install, and / or repair, an operating system.

'Please if anyone can help I would truly be grateful.' - try turning ON the PowerBook - with the <shift> key pressed (until the 'Desktop' appears). Perhaps, just perhaps, the PowerBook will boot into 'Safe Mode'. If so, you then attach the (non fully identified) ehdd, use 'Disk Utility' (in the '/Applications/Utilities/' folder) to format the ehdd; and, finally - transfer (at least) all of the data files you created to the ehdd quickly.

Once booted in 'Safe Mode', and the desired data is copied to the ehdd - then launch 'System Preferences' and select 'Accounts'. Then click on the 'Login Items' tab. If you note any unusual entry / entries - record their names and full paths, select them, and click the '-' symbol (to remove them). Reboot the PowerMac.

Did the PowerMac boot to the 'Desktop'? - reply with your results.

Last edited:
First things first: get yourself some Mac OS X Install CDs/DVDs. A computer is worthless (or will soon become) without those, much like a car is useless without keys. Right now you have a locked car and no keys in your possession.

Having been locked out of my car for the umpteenth time, I decided to keep the spare key on me at all times and believe me, it's been a timesaver!

Ergo, having the Install CDz/DVDz is akin to reaching for that spare key, as you stand outside your locked car and stare at the set of keys dangling from the ignition.

Attachments

• Picture 2-1.jpg
    Picture 2-1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Having been locked out of my car for the umpteenth time, I decided to keep the spare key on me at all times and believe me, it's been a timesaver!

Ergo, having the Install CDz/DVDz is akin to reaching for that spare key, as you stand outside your locked car and stare at the set of keys dangling from the ignition.

It's an interesting analogy, I'll give you that. :D

Basically what everyone said, you'll need a set of the installation discs....specifically the retail version. However, I don't think I've ever seen the one with the tiger stripes on it. The retail ones I've seen for Tiger have a sans-serif style "X" in silver over a black background, like the one in the following image.

Attachments

• tiger1.jpg
    tiger1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back