Port Numbering Scheme

macavenger

Registered
The office where I work is planning to redo the network wiring, and we are looking for some ideas as to how to identify the various network jacks. The layout of the building is roughly two rows of offices, one on each side of a large hanger area, with two stories each. Network jacks are located on any or all of the four walls of the room. Rooms are not currently numbered in any consistant way, so we can do whatever we want with this. Any and all idas are welcome :) Thanks

What we did in our shop was:

1) Make out a simple floor plan
2) Plan ahead of the wiring using the floor plan (plan of wiring attack)
3) Label each wire (this is very important at the server side & the end of the wire. In the future someone will thank you when something goes wring. Trust me on that one.
4) A simple label maker was used to label the jack. The shorter, the sweeter.
5) After doing the wiring, write everything down on the floor plan. Then make copies and file them where you or others can find it in the future.
6) when you buy the wire, use shielded wiring when in an office environment. I say this because the network cables will come very close to electrical wiring. It;'s better to spend the extra buck at the beginning. Also do you homework on the type of wire you will be buying. Plan for the future.

Make sure you document and try to make it look professional. I can't stress the fact enough to label the cables, at both ends! Good luck.

Believe it or not we just used the label maker, making that the label extra long so we could wrap in around the cable just a couple of inches from the connectors. A couple of weeks ago (we did all the cabling in 2001) when the shop got a new Cisco Catalyst Switch the labels made a huge time saver.

Back