possible to mimic os ~9 behavior?

MacLuv

Reloaded
after playing with os x for a while, I'm now finally trying to get some work done with the OS... I'm finding it quite difficult because my mechanical conditioning is used to the old GUI and now I'm in a new world... i find this is usually why apple users always hated working with windows--moving to a new OS is a difficult transition... and even the case for me with OS X.

I find myself wanting to switch apps by pulling down the menu (which doesn't exist anymore) in the upper right hand corner where the time now resides. It's an old habit picked up for the past 18 years of using macintosh computers. I have the dock parked on the left of the screen to keep it out of my way, and now whenever i instinctively want to switch apps and my hand just floats up to the right, i have to "rethink" the process and move over to the dock.

To some this might seem like a "whatever" issue, but for any poweruser out there that uses a multiapp combo to get work done, it's a pain in the ass.

Is there any way I can mimic some of the behaviors of OS 9 like pulling down apps from the upper right hand side?

And while I'm talking about that clock, why doesn't it show you the date when you click on it like the old clock did?

Look for ASM (Application Switcher Menu) on versiontracker.com. It'll put the old OS 9-style Application menu back up in your upper-right hand corner.

yep, ASM does the trick for me. I still use it more often than the dock. and my clock does show the date when i click on it. not sure what's wrong with yours.

any other old habits you're looking to put back into functionality? there are several good haxies that add most of them. but in the long run, you'll find that most of the osx ways really are faster and easier once you retrain yourself. at least i have. all except ASM. apple really should have left that in as an option.

About the clock thing -- OS X doesn't switch the time/date between time and date in the actual menubar anymore. If you click the clock in the menubar, a pull-down menu should appear and the date will the the first line of text in that pull-down menu. It's greyed out like an unselectable menu item.

thanks i will try ASM out... funny thing about that date--I didn't even notice it!!! I think it should go back to the one click=date method personally... seems more logical than pulling down a menu--or the date should be in a color of your choice or something so you can see it better.

As far as the dock is concerned... i'm finding it to be really annoying... i haven't found a good place to put it at all. And Office and IE windows open in the upper right hand corner by default and the dock obscures that if I have it on the right... even with auto hide on it's still really annoying... i've seen a few websites dedicated to the dysfunction of the dock... i'll have to post them here me thinks...

yea, the dock does take some getting used to. i like keeping most of my apps full screen so i don't like to lose the real estate with it open. so i autohide but it has this annoying tendency to pop up when i am reaching for a bottom scroll (yes, i still use top and bottom arrows and keep my dock on the bottom.). on the other hand i use dock switcher to organize my apps in the way i used to with launcher. i really like the dock when used like this as launcher was my most missed application at first. This also helps reduce some of the confusion of having to have certain apps in the applications folder. using different docks you can still keep them grouped by function like you would have in folders under previous os's. i'm not sure if you've checked out Tinkertool, but it allows you to place the dock on top. perhaps this would work for you.

in the end, there are some of these little changes you will probably just find yourself having to accept in order to enjoy the stability of osx. and of course the best thing you can do to help overall performance is add as much ram as you can possibly afford.

FYI-- regarding ASM... it downloads fine but the author deciced to put an "unlock" key on it for a trial period, and apparently he has moved his servers, so getting in to get a keycode is impossible at this point as apparently there's been too much traffic...

Just goes to show you how much people want that pull down menu up there in the upper right hand corner...

yea, you can have multiple docks. there are several little apps that provide this function. i'm not sure why except that it is cheap, but i chose dock switcher. i could actually put one dock on the left, one on the right and another on the bottom if i wanted. or 2 on the right, 3 on the bottom and 1 on the left, or... you get the pic. i tried that but it was more confusing to me than just having them all in one place. There is a slight lag time for display when switching from one dock to another, not near as quick as launcher, but a handy way of organizing that saves me time in the long run.

as for ASM, i was surprised it went shareware couple of weeks ago. i must have missed checking the update sites for a couple of days. but this should help you get it working for now

from the ASM website
Here's a trial key for ASM, valid until November 9, 2002:

Registered To: DEMO
Product Key: 4L44-DLMA-7GPH-9YL5-D
Registration Key: ZGKT-9AW1-45FT-14ED

and i guess this haxie allows apps like ASM to work in 10.2.

yeah i'm surprised it went to shareware as well... i think 200,000 downloads went to his head... the problem i have with shareware is that after you end up paying hundreds of dollars for these things that are never supported in the long run or apple goes ahead and implements them in the next release of their software...

The strange thing is the six day trial period... i guess he's desperate for cash...

2002-11-03.jpg

:D

If you meant "Can you list", sure.

The first is PTHPasteboard. MY FAVORITE. It gives you multiple clipboards. And it comes in handy when I need to copy something but don't wanna lose what's already there.

Second is Net Monitor. Just blikns to network or PPP activity. Whichever you chose.

Third is WeatherPop. Most people say it sucks up resources when updating and go with Meteorologist, but I alread paid for it so I'm gonna use it. It has MUCH nicer icons than the free Meteorologist. MUCH. As in WeatherPop = Aqua. Meteorologist = Luna.

Lastly is the plain old Clock Apple supplies. But with a PLIST hack to make it say what I want it to. Now, I'll try and trell you how to do it. But remember, if you edit the PLIST, don't set any settings in Date/Time's Menubar Clock tab because they'll overwrite the PLIST. Losing the look. Anyway.. there's an article somewhere that describes how to do it.. Let me see if I can find it. What was that site?? Hmm...

ASM is great, now shareware. There's also X-Assist (freeware) which I think does everything ASM does, and also adds OS9 windowing (i.e. click on desktop and all finder windows come to the front, same with apps). Another great utility is LiteSwitch, an awesome app switcher.

I can see that getting rid of GUI features wasn't going to be as easy for Apple as getting rid of dem damn floppies...

obrigado muito muito para a informação

Maclvu..

Have you tried Dock Thing?

I use it all the time it saves me a lot of movement time

B

Ps is that Spanish ? at the bottom macluv?

Back