Post a pic of your mac setup!

Well, there isn't much to see here. This is a diagram of my computer area (what should have been the living room of our apartment):

floor_plan.jpg

and this is a quick set of images of the room (covering about 320 degrees):

I think I've talked about most of these systems and put up screenshots from them. Here are some older shots of the systems (from a couple years ago):
Quadra wall: The 7500 and Quadra 700 have been replaced with the 8600 at the end. I haven't been playing on the Quadra 950 much lately, but I still love that system.
Window end: The 7100 running on a G3/266 has been replaced with an 8100 using a G3/500.
Unix Wall: This section hasn't changed much in the last few years, but I'll most likely be pulling the IRIS Indigo and it's monitor to put a majorly upgraded Beige G3 and 21" monitor in it's place. I'll have to find a new place for the 7500 and my PowerBook Duo 2300c which are currently under the desk where the Indigo is now.​
My PowerBook G3 is still currently the center of most of what I do with my systems (it has a G4/500 in it, so it is the fastest system I currently own, hopefully the Beige G3 will pass it when it is done) and the ThinkPad is the system that gets taken with me everywhere (except school, then I take either the 2300c or 3400c, depending on how many books I'm carrying). The ThinkPad is currently on the other side of the room next to the 8600 because I've been making updates to my NeXT and Rhapsody sites.

Like I said, it's not much, but it's home for me and my computers. :D

Not really... they are all quite friendly. As I usually have the displays off on most of them, I have them set to speak alert dialogs. So I can be working on one and another from the other side of the room will call out "David, I need you for something", that type of thing.

Plus the general setup has been about the same for the last 5 or 6 years. I don't really think much about it until someone comes over... and they get that, that look.

:rolleyes:

The only time I worry is when I see network activity between systems I'm not using or accessing... I sometimes wonder if they're talking about me behind my back*. :eek:

Attached is what my network is displaying right now... What is missing is Thurston (the 3400c) who is on loan to a friend, Phillips (the 2300c) which is in the bedroom after a night of playing games with my wife, HAL (the Quadra 950) and Morse (the IRIS Indigo) who are currently off, and Whitehead (the Beige G3) who is not currently connected to the network.

* Note that all my systems, including the SGIs, communicate with AppleTalk, which can be... chatty at times.

Attachments

• network.jpg
    network.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 32
Lt Major Burns said:
wow. jesus. bloody hell. that's a lot of computer.
Yeah, I don't think my wife knows all their names yet... but then again, there are only a handful that she actually uses.

OH MY GOD!!!! That's taking up your whole living room? Dude!! ::ha::

I'm lucky I have the 2 PCs and the 2 Macs that I have now! And even still I have others tell me that I have more than them! I should show them this!! ::ha::

Definitely a nice setup there, RacerX. And you know, you could make millions with other computer geeks out there by selling those secrets to getting the wife on your side like this.....I would be your first customer!!! LOL

Here's my setup. Usually, the iMac and the firepod are downstairs, in the band room, but I am transferring some tapes, and I wanted to check out how well the firepod would be with my Powermac. Currently, I am transferring slides and photos, some old VHS tapes, and some REALLY old super 8-mm film (the stuff that's on reels) to digital. Hence the 60-year-old film projector, and the 30-year-old slide projector.
The laptop is a couple years old, the processor is 600 MHz, and the battery exploded (It took a couple hours to open up the laptop and remove the leaking battery). I loaded it up with FC4, and it's been a nice, stable machine ever sense (a lot better than the previous Win98).

Yeah, and I hung up a KNEX model of the ISS above the monitor because I didn't have closet space for it..

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    500 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    707.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    702.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    611.8 KB · Views: 22
Oops.. forgot to post the part of my work-area with the laptop.. here it is, plus another picture of the iMac area.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    467.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_00012.JPG
    IMG_00012.JPG
    522.5 KB · Views: 24
nixgeek said:
Definitely a nice setup there, RacerX. And you know, you could make millions with other computer geeks out there by selling those secrets to getting the wife on your side like this.....I would be your first customer!!! LOL
Well it should be noted that the set up predates my wife and I getting married... she let me do this when we moved in together (it was how I knew she was the one for me :D ).

It has changed over the years... you can see sort of how it looked back in late 2001 in this post. The Quadra 950 and SGI Indy are still in the same spots, I had a DEC Celebris running Rhapsody in the place where the 8600/300 is now, the Sun stack has been moved down to where the Quadra 900 used to be, and the 7100 has been replaced with an 8100 (but the monitors are still in the same place).

A couple months later I got my Wallstreet, which ran Rhapsody 5.6 until August 2002 when it was bumped up to Mac OS X v10.2.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, I try not to take for granted how fortunate I am with this setup.

Do you ever have any.. cable issues? .. and I thought I was in a jungle with 3 computers..

Attachments

• DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    630.9 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    595.7 KB · Views: 20
I have avoided the setup threads for a long time ....
First - my hardware situation is not usual now. I'm a laptop person, so I ideally would have a PowerBook. But I sold it, and cannot make up my mind if / when to get a laptop now ... MacBook Pro does not do what I want yet (as I do want to run OS X Server on the laptop, with Pro applications), and .. well, can't just make up my mind for 15" PowerBook now, or wait, or wait ... so sort of without a laptop now.
The "sort of" means that I don't count the Dell 9300 "transportable" that was my husband's and that is now mine to be a laptop :p

Anyway, details:

- G4 Cube; this is for now the only fully mine. Has 10.3.5 in it, and I don't have a display home. Thus Apple Remote Desktop is your friend ... also mounting it as a server on the iMac G5. Specs 450 MHz, 256 MB (or 512?), 20 GB HD .. (which I will upgrade sometime soon to something like 100 or 120 GB when I get a proper kind of hard drive for it).

- iMac G5 17", first generation; this is now as my main machine home, however it can be used by other 5 people living home too ... I think 1-2 GB RAM, and it has a 400 GB hard drive, 10.4.5.

- the Dell. Inspiron 9300, has 2 systems in it: XP Professional. I rarely use it on that system, but some games etc need it .. also if anyone else home needs to use an XP or a Windows, they can do it. So the normal boot partition is now Solaris 9. Eventually I may go with Ubuntu, or Debian, or something else. (the Linux side of me still likes trying to find a nice operating system).

- P800, t39m,a portable hard drive with a 60 GB HD in it, an iSight, an Olympus .. gadgets change, some stay longer than the others. And the shades of the picture may look weird, the wall is bright sunflower yellow ..

Attachments

• setup_home_mar2006.jpg
    setup_home_mar2006.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 35
My updated desktop...
iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz
MacBook Core Duo
iPod G5 30 GB

Attachments

• CRW_1475.jpg
    CRW_1475.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 20
wow. the 24"s are huge aren't they.

did you just cover yourself in jam and throw yourself in an apple store to see what stuck? :p

yeah i know. for ages i thought dual screens was just useless (even after i bought them), but now.... one screens just not enough! everything's on top of everything!

Here's my updated setup, with the PowerBook. (1 GHz)

Usually, when it's on the desk, I have it plugged into ethernet, the USB hub, speakers, power, the iPod, etc, but it looks better this way :). The firewire drive had to stay plugged in because I'm rendering stuff.

yeah i know. for ages i thought dual screens was just useless (even after i bought them), but now.... one screens just not enough! everything's on top of everything!

It's also much more pixels available when drawing... or watching HD movies.

Back