Potential ibook consumers

The iBook is not a suitable machine for graphics, imho. The 12 inch screen is the reason. 1024x768 is simply too small to fit all PhotoShop's or Illustrators palates comfortably, and even if that resolution is acceptable to you I would imagine you having a very difficult time working on 12 inches for long. Take the iMac's 15 inch screen and subtract three of those inches (diagonal) and you'll see what I mean. Additionally the video out in the iBook only supports video mirroring, so you really don't gain any real estate by hooking up a 17 inch monitor to it.

The tiBook (G4) on the other hand has a larger screen, supports dual monitors, and has that wonderful G4 for all your PhotoShop needs, as well as accelerating some functions in OSX.

If you need a portable graphics machine, then the tiBook is the way to go. iBooks are more general purpose machines.

As far as dead pixels go, almost every Powerbook I've set up for our sales staff has had one. But they really aren't noticeable for the most part. It depends on the background. The two tiBooks (one to our other systems person, one to a designer) we just got in are pristine. My iBook is still on back order, so I'll et you know how it looks when it comes in ;)

Originally posted by Untitled
I know that there are programs are availible exa. <I>PowerBook Pixels</I> which allow you to check for dead pixels.
You don't need a program for checking for dead pixels.

The standard action for looking for dead pixels is to look at a totally white screen for them, and at a totally black screen.
If you just looked on a white screen, you could miss a pixel that always is white, and that could be very annoying with dark things on the screen (I think these pixels are called undead pixels ;) )

And, btw, I think one or two years ago the number of tolerable dead pixels on TFTs was something like 14...

Maybe it's 'cause I have to buy computer for designers, but I do just fine designing graphics, ads, pages, poster and whatnot in my iBook. You learn to deal with what you have. Hell, I, like a lot of others, designed ads on a Classic with a 9" screen! - I hadn't even seen a 21" screen before.

To keep on topic, I have used / dealt with around five iBooks: No dead pixels, and Apple Service has been excellent when someone spilt water in it!

Scott

I think the "dead pixel issue' is more of a consumer confidence issue that it is a hardware issue.

I researched all the major laptop manufacturers before I made a decision and all of them -except Dell, have a tolerance. Sony is the worst with 5 pixels.

I took my chance and bought a PowerBook, now I'm on my second PowerBook and I picked up an iBook along the way.

I bought an Apple product because they had the best product. They do not however have the best customer service, Dell is leading in that race. Dell will replace a unit for any reason if the customer is dissatisfied. Dell is alone in that regard and I think their service is one big reason they pulled ahead of Apple in the educational market.

I called Cupertino to tell them this because I want to see Apple be the best all-around. I do think that their recent extension of the warranty for reconditioned units is a step in the right direction.

So, Apple has taken a step to keep up with Dell - but how about trying to out do them -that'd really get PC users onto OS X!

BTW - Cupertino sent me a free Airport card - don't call the 800 numbers - call Cupertino direct and be honest with them!

(This should now be a priority item since CRT's have gone the way of floppy's at Apple - good riddance too!)

- and not just for me but for my PowerBook.

My Pismo 400 developed a bad pixel after a couple months and then the Pismo 500 that replaced it developed a bad pixel too : (

I was really bummed but then I just started to touch the screen and massaged the bad pixel (gently) away!

Perhaps it just needs some attention now and then along with a gentle touch!

Pismo 500
512 RAM
OS X/9.1

iBook 300
320 RAM
OS X/9.1

- both running Apache, MySQL, PHP!

And I am fuc%$#g well satisfied with it...

Really happy I didn't spend $2600 on a G4 Ti... more value for dosh this is!

Patrick

Back