Powermac g4 secondary hard drive

SLO4SHO

Registered
So I put a second hard drive into my powermac to obviously gain some more space. When I boot up my mac it will show the hd on the desktop and it will also allow me to format it through disk utilities, but once it is done it says that the hd has no space... Get Info shows 0 kb out of 0 kb. Any suggestions as to how I can get the comp to recognize the hd correctly and show the full capacity of the hd. Thanks

Which Powermac G4 model, which OS, how is that second hd set up and how is it formatted?

it's the powermac g4 mirrored door... 1.25 ghz processor gig of ram. leopard 10.5.7. the hd is set up in a spot under my combo drive... when I put it in where the original hd is it wouldn't boot up at all. i formatted to to mac os x journaled. and we have also ms/dos fat 32

Your MDD PowerMac has three drive buses. The original location is vertically, near the ports in back. You can install 2 hard drives in that holder. The hard drives need to be jumpered as cable select.
Then there's the second bus, which is horizontal in the front bottom. The ribbon cable for that bus should be in that rack, but may not be connected if it has never been used before. That rack will also take 2 hard drives.
You can also put a hard drive in the second slot under the optical drive, but that's not an ideal bus for hard drives, and I wouldn't use it for the booting system.
So, the MDD PowerMac can easily have 5 hard drives installed, and you still have the optical drive.

Back