Printer refusing to cooperate under OS 13 and OS14.

ChangeAgent

Registered
I am not sure as to when this happened but as of yesterday, I am not able to print properly. To make sure it is not one Mac, I tested it on two other Macs and here I have the same problem.

I also have the same problem on two different printers, a laser Brother, and a Canon ix6850 A3 bubblejet printer.

I have tested on OS 13.6.3 (I am still using this as I have software that does not work properly under 14)>. And I have a partition on my SSD that has OS14 on it (for testing) and here too I have the same problem.

I give you an example of the problem. I have a jpeg in colour. I want to print it on photo paper in fine print in greyscale. Whatever I try whatever settings I set, it prints it in normal resolution in colour.

Now I see at both sites of the printers that there is no software for these models beyond OS10.x. I therefore suspect these are built in drivers in the Mac OS software. Correct?

What I did so far. Safe boot. Delete all printers and instal again with the printers switched off. Delete all printers and instal again with the printers switched on. Tested and replicated the problem on OS13 and OS14. Reboot computer. Reboot printers. Search on the internet but found no tips that solved it.

So, any tips out there as to how to get this back to normal.

Thanks

Printer software leaves 100's, if not 1000's of pieces everywhere.
Use EasyFind to search Brother and Canon to delete all traces, THEN reinstall.
Example: I have only one printer, a Canon. This is just one page of many with a search word Canon:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2.jpg
    Screenshot 2.jpg
    867.3 KB · Views: 2
I just ran it and indeed loads of files. however some of these are deep in the system and I have no idea as to what will happen if I just remove those. Have you done this before yourself? Or os this a wild guess? Or?

I just ran it and indeed loads of files. however some of these are deep in the system and I have no idea as to what will happen if I just remove those. Have you done this before yourself? Or os this a wild guess? Or?
Yes, I have done this. (Got rid of 2 Canon cartridge ink jets and a Canon black only laser.
Bought a Canon ink jet that uses large bottles of ink; now our only printer.

Yes, I have done this. (Got rid of 2 Canon cartridge ink jets and a Canon black only laser.
Good morning. Thanks.

So, to make sure I do not create bigger problems. You deleted all those files it found. Every single one of them without exception. I ask this as I am worried it removes the drivers that I see when I instal a printer. See picture.

Next you emptied the rubbish. I would do a restart at this point. And then you installed the Canon printer, and all the drivers are there in the choice window? See pic.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 08.47.11.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 08.47.11.png
    469.7 KB · Views: 1
I had an other look just now. There are for example files that I think are needed to instal the printer. Like these in the picture. What do you think?

Attachments

• Canon.png
    Canon.png
    335.3 KB · Views: 3
All of those "example" files came from Apple.
Dump everything, and then install only the driver you need.

The driver download for the Canon that DeltaMac linked to above is half way down the page.
If that is not your printer, then all bets are off.

I've been an Apple user since my Apple IIc, and the hardest, most confusing aspects have always been installing routers and printers!

What I also realise is that (I think but not 100% sure if it was at exactly at that point but definitely since than) the problems started after I upgrade from OS 12 latest version to OS 13 latest version.

At that point the print window dialog changed. Could it be that at this point the Mac started using different drivers? Or some printer original drivers where outdated?

What I also realise is that (I think but not 100% sure if it was at exactly at that point but definitely since than) the problems started after I upgrade from OS 12 latest version to OS 13 latest version.

At that point the print window dialog changed. Could it be that at this point the Mac started using different drivers? Or some printer original drivers where outdated?

They probably were outdated or badly written or old!

so how to get it all back up to speed?

If this das printer than not much beside what others have linked! If this was network printer that gets it’s own IP then just put that IP in favorite browser and get into the printers admin page!

Back