Printers not loading

pelindaba

Registered
I have a HP Laserjet 1200 and an Epson Photo Stylus R380. Both are linked to MAC G5 (Not dual intel) via a USB Hub. Tech tool Pro is sending a diagnostic message (-63) about "folder count" and I also get an error message of (-50) when I try to load a printer from the printer listing.

Everything is hooked up properly.....everything worked prior to disconnecting the entire system for painting. When I hooked it all back up --- no printers! They were there but would not print......I hit reset and poof there were no printers. The printer dialogue said "no printers available." I have since reloaded drivers but still cant print.

I succeeded in getting the printers to show up, but when I select print...it goes to print, but then it almost immediately goes to stop printing....in the print list is shows each printer as stopped.

Do I need to reset PRAM?

Well I see the problem as being multimode. You did not give us what the G5 is running (OS X version) and if your USB hub is powered or not (that does make a difference). So YES please do the reset pram procedure. Plus make sure you USB hub is powered. Then download Print Therapy (for OS X10.5.x) or Printer Setup Repair (for 10.4.x) and i know they are shareware but they have a 7 day trial period and the programs will fix you underlining printing problem.

Lastly did the printers ever show up in CUPS? which version of CUPS are you running?

CUPS is built-in to MacOS X for most of this decade. The OP should not install a downloadable version unless his computer does not have it preinstalled.

Yes it is but the 10.5.5 update turns off CUPS but the program I listed turn it back on (with a simple button push). However Apple does update CUPS between versions of CUPS so some Mac users update CUPS themselves. In updating CUPS it turns CUPS off and a Mac user must turn it back on.

Note: for a usable easy Universal binary for CUPS visit iDisk download page.

Last edited:
Back