Problems trying to use HP monitor for iMac

George3

Registered
I was trying to connect a HP monitor ZR 22W (very nice image quality!) to my iMac running OS X 10.6.6. After running a wire between them (mini DVI to DVI), I inserted the monitor's CD into the iMac. The CD was read but the files could not be opened. The error message was to the effect that OS X could not open a file starting with "macro." Meanwhile, the HP was showing the OS X opening screen and nothing else. I disconnected the iMac from the HP and later on I inserted a regular DVD into the iMac's drive and got an error message that no valid device could be found to play the DVD. So, two questions: how to reset the iMac so that it can find the DVD player again, and of course, what to do to open those files and use the HP as intended. Thanks.

You probably don't need any software to use the HP display.
Your Mac is probably set to show an extended desktop by default with an external display attached. You can easily see that by moving an icon or a finder window to the edge of your screen and beyond. You should see that window move into view on the HP display.
If you want the HP display to show exactly the same as your iMac display, then open your System Preferences, then Displays. Click the Arrangement tab, then select Mirror Displays. The Arrangement tab is only visible if the second display is attached to your Mac.

It worked as you said it would, and the DVD player was probably reset by rebooting. I would still like to read the CD, probably packed with useful information. How would I do that?

... I would still like to read the CD, probably packed with useful information. How would I do that?

That software CD (I'm guessing it came with the HP display?) would likely only have the software that might be needed to install on a Windows computer.
I don't know what you mean by 'useful information', but there's nothing likely that you might need that will be helpful for use on a Mac - it either works, or doesn't - It would be very unusual for any display not to work simply by plugging in and using it on your Mac - assuming that the hardware connection is provided on the Mac, or by using a compatible adapter. Additional software to install on a Mac for a video display would be unlikely, outside of one of the good video config utilities, like SwitchResX http://www.madrau.com/whatis/whatis.html

... Meanwhile, the HP was showing the OS X opening screen and nothing else. ...
The HP monitor was not showing the MacOS X opening screen, it was showing a blank screen. Well, the screen was not quite blank. It was showing the the same wallpaper as your iMac. You must arrange the two displays. Open the Displays preferences pane. You may setup the HP as either a mirror or as an extension of the iMac's built-in display.

It definitely works. However, the CD contains the entire User's Manual, which document will probably reveal among other things the purpose of the row of controls that lines the bottom of the unit, the only recognizable one being Power. The whole piece of information being obscured by a little readability problem.

Last edited:
Fantastic responses. It encourages me to ask: how can I turn off the computer monitor when I use the external monitor? Thanks.

Back