problems with external firewire hard drive

ben72227

Registered
Hey there everyone. I recently added two Macs to my PC network (an eMac and an iMac G5, both with OS X Tiger). I bought a lacie porsche external hard drive for the iMac (it's firewire) and connected it to the iMac. My intention is to share the drive with all of the other computers on my network (including the PCs with WIndows XP)

So today, I downloaded and installed a program to allow me to share the drive (SharePoints by Hornware for Macs). I made the external HD a mountable volume. I also allowed sharing on the Mac.

The Windows computers connected to my iMac via its IP address and were then able to connect to the external HD and write/read from it. My eMac, however, was not. When I tried to connect the eMac to the iMac, it connected, and I was able to connect to the Macintosh HD, but it refused to recognize the external HD.

What could I be doing wrong? I'm still not completely familiar with the way Macs work (I've only used PCs until now) so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

It depends on how you formatted the drive. OS X can reads NTFS, but not write to it. Windows XP has a very hard time seeing anything else than NTFS and FAT whatever.

It depends on how you formatted the drive. OS X can reads NTFS, but not write to it. Windows XP has a very hard time seeing anything else than NTFS and FAT whatever.

Well, the iMac can write to the drive as well as read from it, and I've been able to open word documents and edit them on the PCs and the iMac, so I don't think that's the problem.

The problem is that I can't get the eMac to recognize the external HD on the iMac, even though the eMac recognizes EVERYTHING else on the iMac...

Okay, I'm not sure what the drive is formatted as, but I think its either NTFS or FAT. Now, if I reformat it to Mac OS Extended, I know that the eMac should definately be able to read it, but will the Windows PCs still be able to access it?

How did you set SharePoints to share the drive? Could it be that the PCs are connecting via SMB, while the eMac is trying to connect via AFP, and that the firewire drive is shared only for SMB?

No, I made sure that it was set for SMB and AFP. Are there any other options in sharepoints that I should have ticked? Or is there a special way to connect Macs together (other than going to the finder>connect to server and typing in the ip address?)

Back