Problems with Lion

nemac

Registered
I upgraded my MacBook to Lion. Soon after that, I noticed that it was very slow in responding to log into. My first response was to upgrade the memory. I now have 4 Gig of memory. This did not get rid of my first problem. Secondly, I have noticed that my machine will boot up and be un-responsive to the point that I have to power cycle it in order to get anything done. I even looked into going back to Snow Leopard to get rid of my problems. Has anyone else seen those types of problems? My system is as follow: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB 667 MHX DDR2 SDRAM MacBook 13" Early 2008.

TIA

Javier

Nope, no problems like that on my three Macs. Try a Fresh Install (Backup first to an external disk). Then use /Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant and import you music, picture, etc back into your Account.

When you first install Lion, Spotlight is going to reindex any and all hard drives connected to your machine. During this time, your machine will feel slightly sluggish to use and you may notice your internal cooling fans spinning faster than normal.

Look in the upper right-hand corner at the Spotlight icon (magnifying glass): is there a small white dot in the middle of the lens? Click on the icon. Does Spotlight tell you that it's indexing?

If so, do this: tonight, stay logged into the computer, set the Energy Saver preferences to keep the computer awake, and leave the computer on all night. In the morning, indexing should be complete, and you should notice an improvement to the speed.

I actually re-installed it earlier today, in case it was due to some quirk that occurred during the initial install. After the installation, I left the computer running for the next 30 minutes. During this time, the index did complete. I still see a lag from the time I click on my user account and the time it allows me to enter my password. I also see a lag from the time I press the enter key to log in, till it actually logs me into the logs me into the system. I also went into the preferences and I took off the check mark to reload applications at boot up.

This seems to be working better for me. As I stated earlier, I just re-installed the OS a couple of hours ago. Only time will tell if the machine will act any better then before. I was seeing a lot of problems with Safari, the computer would boot up and be unresponsive.

Thanks again for all your suggestions,

Javier

Back