Protection help

SGilbert

Registered
My beloved MBP has to go back to Apple tomorrow for, probably, a new battery. Bottom panel is swollen on both sides.

Problem is, however, I have sensitive data in my Dropbox folder. I cannot just copy & delete the folder as I use most of the data also on my iPhone (which will be my only internet portal until my Mac is returned)

Looking for, preferably free, a way to either lock just that folder or possibly just hide it; either way with a strong password.

All other sensitive data (bank passwords, etc.) is accessed through passwords which are stored in Keychain. I plan to copy that to a thumb drive and that delete the data until I have my Mac back. Sound reasonable?

But, it's Dropbox! All your documents in your dropbox folder are stored in the cloud.
That's what DropBox does.
Your iPhone doesn't need your MBPro to access files stored in Dropbox.
Apple would tell you that you could backup your drive, and erase it completely. Apple won't need to boot from your system just to replace a battery.
Restore your system when you receive your repaired MBPro - or just uninstall Dropbox before you ship, then reinstall after return. Login to your dropbox account, and there's your files - safe and sound. (again, that's what Dropbox does!)

BUT.....If I delete some files from the MBP Dropbox folder (after copying to thumb drive) they will be deleted from the cloud.

When did I say delete files? - That was not something that I intended to say, and I did not say "Delete files"
I said uninstall the dropbox software.

In any case, if you are not connected to your network/internet, then files synced to the cloud (such as your Dropbox) can't sync.
Uninstall dropbox disconnects you from dropbox cloud - there's no way to access Dropbox if the Dropbox software is gone. Your files are still present on your account, and all you would need to do, is log in to your dropbox account -- and -- there's your files.
(Verify this through Dropbox support, if you still feel undecided about this!)

Or, just keep it simple: Don't make any changes to your Dropbox. Backup your complete drive, and erase it before shipping. Restore your complete system after it returns. No one can see your files then :D

I did find this: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/uninstall-dropbox

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Not going to wipe my Mac---Far more overkill than I need. Just protect a few files & passwords.

Just a reminder - Apple will not guarantee that they won't wipe the drive while in the repair process, so make sure you have a good backup before you ship it out

I ended up just copying sensitive files to a thumb drive, including those in the Dropbox folder. Deleted, in Keychain, several passwords.
Upon return of my Mac, I'll just copy back the files. All the other solutions were just too cumbersome or overkill.

I ended up just copying sensitive files to a thumb drive, including those in the Dropbox folder. Deleted, in Keychain, several passwords.
Upon return of my Mac, I'll just copy back the files. All the other solutions were just too cumbersome or overkill.
Also remember the software/shareware passwords that you bought! You keep those passwords safe too!

Back