Query in Mac Excel 2011

nealt

Registered
The data ribbon does not show queries. I found a procedure for combining spreadsheets for Excel PC that requires Queries. Is it not possible in Excel 2011?
Attached is what you get on a PC.201807208_1007-CapturFiles.png

I noyoce that there is a query app in the Office folder. I don't know how to incorporate it into Excel.

You can find out how to use that Query app by launching Query, and opening the help info file from the Help menu.
You will then see that, first, you need to install a compatible ODBC driver, which is not included with Excel for Mac 2011.
The Query help gives you several links to companies that offer an ODBC driver. When you have that installed, the help information will then walk you through how to setup and use a query.

You can find out how to use that Query app by launching Query, and opening the help info file from the Help menu.
You will then see that, first, you need to install a compatible ODBC driver, which is not included with Excel for Mac 2011.
The Query help gives you several links to companies that offer an ODBC driver. When you have that installed, the help information will then walk you through how to setup and use a query.

I found the help file and do not know which of the many drivers to use. Some or all are not free. All I want to do is use query to combine multiple Excel files into one.
Apparently the drivers are provided or not required for the PC version of Excel.

There must be other methods to combine multiple Excel files, that don't need to use Query?
I notice there is a "Merge Workbooks" under the Tools menu, and "consolidate" under the data tab. Maybe one or both of those will help you along to what you need to do...

(Wish I knew more about Excel :confused: )

I believe that merge and consolidate require all workbooks to be opened. That is not the case here.
Lets say I have 100 spreadsheet files in a folder. I want to consolidate-merge them onto a master spreadsheet that is opened.
Any ideas?

I rarely use Microsoft office. I prefer LibreOffice. However I have not figured out how to use its query. My daughter has MS Office on her PC and it has Query. I was trying to duplicate her procedure for combining spreadsheet files, just for fun, . I don't want to spend $120 for a program I would rarely use.

Hi, multiple sheets can be easily merge into one by using Power Query. Check if it is properly activated because it is a separate tool that needs to be downloaded from Excel. Also, there is also a tool called as Power Pivot, which helps to apply Pivot on multiple sheets together. You can also try using this one.

Hi, multiple sheets can be easily merge into one by using Power Query. Check if it is properly activated because it is a separate tool that needs to be downloaded from Excel. Also, there is also a tool called as Power Pivot, which helps to apply Pivot on multiple sheets together. You can also try using this one.
That's a bit of misinformation. Power Query (and Power Pivot) are only on Windows Office, and not supported on Office for Mac, in any version.
Looks like there are a number of threads at Microsoft support, asking for those to be added for the Mac versions, but so far, nothing.

In the most recent version of Microsoft Excel, there is a particular function for combining spreadsheets and splitting spreadsheets. So if you are still interested, then it's probably best to buy Microsoft Excel 2019 version. However, there is a special promotion in the official Microsoft Store. You can try any product from the Office 365 series completely free of charge. Of course, such a trial offer is valid for about a week, but it is much better than buying a costly program. Also using, Coupler.io will connect airtable to excel so you can use airtable to populate tables and Excel to edit. However, I'm not sure that in airtable it is possible to combine tables.

Last edited:
Update your version of the applications or reinstall them. Maybe your version of Windows is not activated, and you cannot use Microsoft products.

All I know now is sense this is older thread that most M1 or better Macs Silicone machines use the web site for LibreOffice.com Download site and use the toggle bar to select the Apple Silicone version! I even verified it is put silicone app from them and seems to work! Even says it in Get Info selection it's Silicone.app! So if you want a PURE Silicone version do it this way!

I found the help file and do not know which of the many drivers to use. Some or all are not free. All I want to do is use query to combine multiple Excel files into one.
Apparently the drivers are provided or not required for the PC version of Excel.

I think you forgot to copy nealt's post completely -- from 4 years ago.
Did you have a question that is relevant to this (old) thread?

Back