Question about a DVD burner

tomdkat

Registered
So, I'm planning on installing an Lite-On DH-20A4P IDE DVD burner in a PowerMac G4 machine. The machine currently has an internal IDE CD-RW drive. Has anyone had experience with this particular Lite-On IDE DVD burner in a PowerMac G4? This will be my first time installing an internal IDE DVD burner in a PowerMac. :)

Thanks!

Peace...

I installed this drive in my Power Mac G4 MDD yesterday. Everything was going fine until I tried ejecting the tray and found that it didn't clear the drive door by millimeters. After briefly considering drastic measures that included power tools and a file, I resigned myself to failure for such a ridiculous reason. Then I searched around on google and found that all you have to do is pop off the the faceplate on the drive's tray. It takes a bit of fiddling but comes off fine (and probably easier to do BEFORE you install it inside your Mac). It ejects fine now -- there's even a menu item that automatically appears to allow you to eject the lower tray (option-eject also works).

I've tried burning a couple of DVD-R's with Toast 9 using Sony 16x media but have only been able to achieve 8x speed. I'd like to know if anyone's been able to gain faster speeds.

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Last edited:
I installed this drive in my Power Mac G4 MDD yesterday. Everything was going fine until I tried ejecting the tray and found that it didn't clear the drive door by millimeters. After briefly considering drastic measures that included power tools and a file, I resigned myself to failure for such a ridiculous reason. Then I searched around on google and found that all you have to do is pop off the the faceplate on the drive's tray. It takes a bit of fiddling but comes off fine (and probably easier to do BEFORE you install it inside your Mac). It ejects fine now -- there's even a menu item that automatically appears to allow you to eject the lower tray (option-eject also works).
Thanks! This helps tremendously! :)

Peace...

Back