Question about intermittent boot issues with OS X Tiger (10.4.11) server

tomdkat

Registered
After rebuilding an OS X Tiger server I administer, I started booting the system in verbose mode to get a sense of what is going on behind the scenes.

Previous to the rebuild of the server, I noticed after booting the machine it would sit at the gray Apple logo screen with the spinning wheel and not proceed. Usually pressing the reset button solves the issue and the machine boots normally.

This time, I booted the system in verbose mode right after installing a bunch of updates. At one point, I saw this message repeated as if something were in a loop:

SystemStarter[(pid)]: Waiting for HP IO Monitor

Does anyone know what the "HP IO Monitor" is or why it sometimes takes a while to start?

Thanks!

Peace...

Are you using some kind of hp printer on that system? Did you install the hp printer drivers?

It seems to have something to do with hp printers/faxes/all-in-ones. Perhaps it's a piece of software to monitor button presses on the printer itself.

Ah, at one point I did try to get an HP printer connected so it could be shared as a network printer but I never got that working. So, this message must be a leftover from that.

I'll see if I can get that software removed, somehow.

Thanks!

Peace...

Back